User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the coffee as fertilizer debate settled?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the coffee as fertilizer debate settled?

Seen some post about nepenthes being fertilized by coffee and big leaf jump. This reminded me of a huge long post I read before about how some folks think it's not effective and in some cases bad for the plant.

Any update on this subject? thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're wanting a black and white answer to a subject that is in shades of gray.

Effective fertilization can only occur when the plant uses each nutrient to the fullest. Too much or too little of any one component can cause problems.
    Too little of an nutrient will obviously have a negative effect on plant growth, but so will too much.
    Excess of one element may prevent the uptake of another, proper fertilization is a balance of many macro and micro nutrients

If I use coffee and my plants need what coffee offers than I see a boost in growth. If I use coffee but my substrate already supplies all the plant can handle of a certain element than I will see the application of coffee as doing harm.

There is no one right answer to this,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    law of the minimum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep reading this too, same question XD

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Settled for me. No reason to use mumbo jumbo when there are products out there that do a substantially better job of growing plants. Fertilizer mixes are developed and tested for that sole purpose.

Think of how many commercial nurseries you know that use artificial fertilizers. Then think of how many use coffee, or compost tea, or unicorn horns.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Settled for me. No reason to use mumbo jumbo when there are products out there that do a substantially better job of growing plants. Fertilizer mixes are developed and tested for that sole purpose.

Think of how many commercial nurseries you know that use artificial fertilizers. Then think of how many use coffee, or compost tea, or unicorn horns.
    There is no "mumbo jumbo" to be had. There are over one thousand active chemical compounds within coffee; and whether plants simply benefit from further acidification of their media; whether more significant chemical reactions occur, it has proven beneficial in my experience. Coffee is particularly high in phenolic compounds -- some twelve percent of dry weight in unroasted beans -- which have a role in breaking down decaying plant material; thereby, freeing up some complex organic nutrients.

As far as commercial nurseries are concerned, the local one here not only uses and sells compost "teas" but also brings in spent grounds from Starbucks and Peets by the wheelbarrow load, to add to their composts . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 07-29-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Writing with boxing gloves . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    There is no "jumbo jumbo" to be had. There are over one thousand active chemical compounds within coffee; and whether plants simply benefit from further acidification of their media; whether more significant chemical reaction occur, it has proven beneficial in my experience. As far as commercial nurseries are concerned, my local one not only uses and sells compost "teas" but also brings in spent grounds from Starbucks and Peets by the wheelbarrow load, to add to their composts . . .
    Experiencing a local shortage of unicorn horn?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Experiencing a local shortage of unicorn horn?
    I'm hogging it all! :-p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast