What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

to Snip... or not to Snip...that is the question

So a while back a few plants got burned from the sun.
Wondering if i should snip my dubia to re root it to see if that helps it start growing again. Cause it hasnt produced leaves in a while and its never pitchered for me since I've had it. Wondering on what i should do cause it appears the burned part is traveling up the stalk making it brown ugly and hard soo idk if its dying and if i could save it so i don't loose it.

Been really hot recently had to make a humidity shelve but gotta get a better light cause some are shrinking their growth points sooo one problem at a time!

20150731_101509.jpg

What do y'all think should i snip it or not? And if i do should it help. Thanx

Was gonna snip it where the healthy red stalk is still showing.

IMO, it is stressed enough already, no need to make it try to reroot, I'm sure it is on the current agenda.

Yea its on the... Please let ME die already..agenda..unfortunatly. Ahrg!

I would definitely cut it and try re-rooting it.

N. Dubia is an ultra highlander. If the proper conditions are not met, or given somewhat close to its needs, then it will not easily pitcher for ya. Chopping for a restart would likely give you the same results so, if it were mine, I would let it grow somewhat & then snip it for multiple cuttings. What conditions do you have this 1 in Kat?
Good luck

To expand on my post- I had an N. glabrata that suffered heat damage last summer. It sat in suspended animation for close to a year, until I finally recognized that the whole stem was dried out and dead, and the plant wasn't getting any water or nutrients from the roots. I cut off the black, dried stem (similar to what you have) leaving only the living tissue + a few leaves, stuck it in some live Sphagnum, and placed it in a cool spot under lights. It has since recovered and is growing very nicely. I suspect that had I left it longer, it would eventually just shrivel up and die. I would chop your plant at a 45 degree angle just below the lowest leaf and place it in live Sphagnum if available.

All that said, it's likely futile if you can't put it in a cooler spot. And if yours is root rot traveling up the stem, the situation is a bit more urgent.

Last edited:
Back