Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes seeds help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh no! and I fell for him... I bought a packet of his seeds just to see if I could grow nepenthes from seeds since no one in my state seems to have them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rareraven View Post
    oh no! and I fell for him... I bought a packet of his seeds just to see if I could grow nepenthes from seeds since no one in my state seems to have them.
    Just because he has a reputation (not a good one) doesn't mean you have ZERO chance of germinating some of those seeds. Go for it and see. What have you got to lose?
    Though they won't be species seeds, the next time I have seed pods ripe and available (very soon, I expect), I will send you some seeds for free, just to gain some experience growing from seed. PM me with your name and mailing info - if you're interested. I always have surplus. :-)
    For every clown who is trying to scam people for a few bucks selling old, non-viable seed, there is someone on the forums who is more than happy to share what they can, often for free. The kind and generous more than make up for the jerks.

PS: Do not use live Sphagnum for sowing Nepenthes seeds. You will find the Sphagnum quickly outgrows the seedlings and they will vanish in the mire in no time. Plain dried Sphagnum, finely chopped is quite sufficient. Place the moss in a pot, water it thoroughly, sow the Nepenthes seeds on top and set the pot in a ZipLoc bag. Place the bag in bright-but-indirect light (NOT on a windowsill in sunlight!) Make yourself a tall latte, settle in to a comfy chair and prepare to wait up to 6 months (or as much as a year), and that's all there is to it!
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 08-16-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Just because he has a reputation (not a good one) doesn't mean you have ZERO chance of germinating some of those seeds. Go for it and see. What have you got to lose?
    Though they won't be species seeds, the next time I have seed pods ripe and available (very soon, I expect), I will send you some seeds for free, just to gain some experience growing from seed. PM me with your name and mailing info - if you're interested. I always have surplus. :-)
    For every clown who is trying to scam people for a few bucks selling old, non-viable seed, there is someone on the forums who is more than happy to share what they can, often for free. The kind and generous more than make up for the jerks.

PS: Do not use live Sphagnum for sowing Nepenthes seeds. You will find the Sphagnum quickly outgrows the seedlings and they will vanish in the mire in no time. Plain dried Sphagnum, finely chopped is quite sufficient. Place the moss in a pot, water it thoroughly, sow the Nepenthes seeds on top and set the pot in a ZipLoc bag. Place the bag in bright-but-indirect light (NOT on a windowsill in sunlight!) Make yourself a tall latte, settle in to a comfy chair and prepare to wait up to 6 months (or as much as a year), and that's all there is to it!
    Any tips for just growing live sphagum moss? I have a small pot of it but its not growing fast like other. do I move it to a plastic container or what do I do to make it grow more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum is not a very fast grower, but it is fairly easy to grow. I grow my Sphagnum on dead LFS in short, undrained trays, with the water level below the live stuff. Give it good light and high humidity, and try to make sure that the tips don't burn. You can slice the heads off and replant them to propagate it. Once you get a few containers of it going, you'll have a surplus in no time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use milled LFS with a little sand, peat, and perlite thrown in for good measure. Has always seemed to work for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine seem to have black or brown tips and heads... I have it growing outside... would growing it in a baggie help for humidity?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rareraven View Post
    mine seem to have black or brown tips and heads... I have it growing outside... would growing it in a baggie help for humidity?
    Don't use a baggie outside unless you want cooked moss. The black tips mean that the moss in dying from low humidity/heat at the tips. Growing in a controlled environment like a terrarium or greenhouse is the best option. The Sphagnum you see growing in bogs is kept healthy through the humid microclimate and steady supply of fresh, cool water. Cultivated moss in a small container outside is afforded no such luxury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    Don't use a baggie outside unless you want cooked moss. The black tips mean that the moss in dying from low humidity/heat at the tips. Growing in a controlled environment like a terrarium or greenhouse is the best option. The Sphagnum you see growing in bogs is kept healthy through the humid microclimate and steady supply of fresh, cool water. Cultivated moss in a small container outside is afforded no such luxury.
    No like have the moss in a baggie under T5 grow lights. That is what I ment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast