Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 year old 4 foot tall Ventrata. Looking for advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, should I cut down that really tall vine? Would that get it to put out more basal leaves. From my experience trimming vines didn't produce more basals. The only growth I ever seem to get on this plant is vines with long gaps between leaves. It seems most plants I see on here are not long vines and the leaves are clustered together rather than spead out along a vine.

Also, it has only been outside 3 to 5 times over this past summer, not very often. A few times earlier in the summer when it was in the 70's, and yesterday with it in the 70's. (was hoping it might catch some yellow jackets. )
    Last edited by Tman; 09-09-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yours are spaced apart not due to "vining" prob because lack of light. They grow more compact with better light. Some will eventually vine and produce upper pitchers in time but i think yours is light starved not actually vining to produce uppers which could explain why your basals are turning into vines instead of compact growth. But that's my guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, well I am moving out in a few days. Been living with my parents until I finish college, but just got a paid internship to hire position. I will be living with my sister and brother in law until I get an apartment. My sister has a big south facing bay window, and I will try to get an apartment with a south facing window. Once I have my own place I can start supplementing my plant's light. I have used daylight CFLs in the past. Is there any LED bulbs that are good for growing yet? Also, it has been in that pot for 6 years. Should I repot it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if the pitchers aren't newer or filled with fluid or producing their sap to attract bugs they prob won't catch them especially if they are old dried up dying off pitchers that are all crinkley and whatnot at the lid and the perisome (atleast thats what's happened in my experience), do u have a photo of the pitchers? Try feeding them yourself with some flies or ants and make sure theirs fluid In the bottom of the pitchers to trap and drowned their prey cause if their to dry they'll just crawl out..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KATastrophe View Post
    And if the pitchers aren't newer or filled with fluid or producing their sap to attract bugs they prob won't catch them especially if they are old dried up dying off pitchers that are all crinkley and whatnot at the lid and the perisome (atleast thats what's happened in my experience), do u have a photo of the pitchers? Try feeding them yourself with some flies or ants and make sure theirs fluid In the bottom of the pitchers to trap and drowned their prey cause if their to dry they'll just crawl out..
    All but I pitcher has the top half dried up and crinkled, but they are 4 or 5 months old. The youngest one is still good. All have liquid and it ate a box elder bug I wounded and fed it a couple months ago after it tried hitching a ride into my house, and it eats gnats that come through the window screen (not fungus gnats. I know about those buggers and how to prevent them).

It almost caught a paper wasp but it caught one leg on something by chance and pulled itself out. It does seem like the rim of the pitcher isn't as slippery as I would think it should be. Seen a few bugs walk on them when the pitchers were still in their prime and not slip a bit.
    Last edited by Tman; 09-09-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could repot it, check the roots see what's going on down their could be not draining well enough or too moist..etc..etc..
    A mix of sphagnum, orchid bark/wood chips, perlite free of chemicals/fertilizers would work well. Try a orchid pot and suppliment with a 250 watt CFL bulb in a lamp for a while just put it anywhere my neps like strong indirect sun light. But my HLs in my tank dont mind the straight on cfl light that's on them. Mist yr plant every so often and water when soil seems too dry the sphag should help u kno when to water by the way it looks. Also id chop back the vines 2 to 3 leaf nodes per cutting and snip the bottom leaves on the cuttings in half

Like this: (top of vine) >---\---\-- (bottom of cutting) sorry crappy diagram and the middle cuttings you take can aswell, the top cutting will grow as a new plant the middle cuttings sections will produce basals between the leaf nodes(looks like you could take about 7 or so cuttings of the main vine) and pot the cuttings up in sphagnum moss and bag them up and in a few weeks they'll root. The original plant will basal out between the remaining leaf nodes and stem on its stalk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of people here with considerable experience growing Nepenthes. I would suggest a bit of research into the posts of someone offering advice. By clicking on the name of the person posting, a drop down gives you the ability to see all of the posts a person has made. Much can be learned about a person's abilities in this manner. I would strongly suggest you do this before making any irreparable changes to your plant.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd repot it. They don't use their roots for taking up nutrients usually(looking at you, N ventricosa that eats fertilizer) but it's good to make sure the roots are well aerated and well drained.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast