Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 year old 4 foot tall Ventrata. Looking for advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    There are lots of people here with considerable experience growing Nepenthes. I would suggest a bit of research into the posts of someone offering advice. By clicking on the name of the person posting, a drop down gives you the ability to see all of the posts a person has made. Much can be learned about a person's abilities in this manner. I would strongly suggest you do this before making any irreparable changes to your plant.
    Yeah, I will do more reading before chopping the vine. I have cut it down in the past when certain vines were dying ( from damage from that spider mite infestation ). I find using a sharp shear only used for soft material works well, as well as wiping the blade with rubbing alcohol before cutting, as well as swabbing the stem around where the cut will be made. Haven't had any troubles using that method. First figured that out when making and rooting cuttings of a "lucky bamboo " (actually a dracenia) plant of mine. That one you have to pluck most of the leaves and root it in water. The tip kept getting infected as well as around where I plucked the leaves and scraped the stem with my fingernail. The above sanitation procedure along with swabbing the scrapea with rubbing alcohol solved the issue and the rubbing alcohol didn't bother the plant.

Also, good idea to research poster's past post as most threads seem to be about pics and other unhelpful (to me) things. Maybe we should have a sticky with a directory of links on nep care.
    Last edited by Tman; 09-09-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    I'd repot it. They don't use their roots for taking up nutrients usually(looking at you, N ventricosa that eats fertilizer) but it's good to make sure the roots are well aerated and well drained.
    I must disagree. I've fertilized my Nepenthes solely through the media to very noticeable and dramatic results. Nepenthes roots are far more tolerant of higher nutrient levels than most other CPs, and people have proved time and time again that the roots do provide a significant venue in which the plants assimilate nutrients - just look at seasoned growers who regularly feed their plants through the roots to superior results, or even people like Siegfried Hartmeyer who actually mix Osmocote into the media itself.
    Last edited by SerMuncherIV; 09-09-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U can try swabing the cut areas with sulfur powder that will help kill infection and help the area stay sterilized for the most part, if and when u decide to cut the vine down to make cuttings. I would deff do some research before and after involving anything with your plant this site is a great place for gaining and sharing knowledge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    I must disagree. I've fertilized my Nepenthes solely through the media to very noticeable and dramatic results. Nepenthes roots are far more tolerant of higher nutrient levels than most other CPs, and people have proved time and time again that the roots do provide a significant venue in which the plants assimilate nutrients - just look at seasoned growers who regularly feed their plants through the roots to superior results, or even people like Siegfried Hartmeyer who actually mix Osmocote into the media itself.
    The fertilizer it eats isn't Osmocote or anything. It's hyper concentrated fertilizer meant for peppers that has a residue on the ground, and the plant puts roots out the bottom of the pot to get to it. That being said, while they can take up nutrients through the roots, I haven't seen it be necessary as long as they get food the normal way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not repoted it in years?
    and you have sphag in there?
    the soil is quite possible a densely compacted block atm...

Neps absolutely need happy roots to be happy. if it hasnt been pitchering and the the roots are not for nutrient absorption (which is not true) - then it hasnt been eating in years. in this case, if the soil has been bad - it hasnt eaten anything in years.

I have a ventrata growing outdoors through hot dry summers and it pitchers fine despite being in complete and deep shade.
    id say this warrants a soil check
    lets see a closeup of the soil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just realised that there was a page 2 I didnt read -

why is the belief that Neps dont feed through their roots still being propagated? its simply not true.
    yes, they dont rely on it when feeding through the pitchers but they are in no way incapable of it and root feeding is in no way a waste with Neps.

because I just dont manage to feed regularly, the above mentioned ventrata gets composted manure. the same stuff that goes in the veg garden and it (and many of my other larger plants) love it. there was a notable improvement in said plants after using the manure even though the vast majority of my plants trap loads of bugs throughout the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbus View Post
    I just realised that there was a page 2 I didnt read -

why is the belief that Neps dont feed through their roots still being propagated? its simply not true.
    yes, they dont rely on it when feeding through the pitchers but they are in no way incapable of it and root feeding is in no way a waste with Neps.

because I just dont manage to feed regularly, the above mentioned ventrata gets composted manure. the same stuff that goes in the veg garden and it (and many of my other larger plants) love it. there was a notable improvement in said plants after using the manure even though the vast majority of my plants trap loads of bugs throughout the year.
    That belief may not be still being propigated, I have been away from these forums for years, and got that info 5 or 6 years ago.

Here is a soil pic. It isn't compacted.

I do plan to repot, but I think it may be best to wait a little longer as I am moving in with my sister for a bit and bringing it with, and once I find an apartment it and I will move again. I think maybe letting it settle in after my final move would be best before I repot it causing more stress, unless the extra nutrients would help that much.

Edit : I should clarify that I do not use peat sphagnum, only the long stringy stuff. Maybe that is why the soil isn't a compact brick. Also, the water tray I spoke of that keeps crawling bugs out is the overflow tray for the pot. I water it from the top and let it dry a bit between waterings to prevent fungus gnat infestations.
    Last edited by Tman; 09-12-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hesitant to jump in here and offer my 2 cents, since there seems to already be a plethora of comments and suggestions. However I will say this - I live in zone 5 and have a ventrata sitting in an eastern facing window. The only light it gets is when the sun comes up, and after that it is in fairly bright, indirect light...and very little light in the late afternoon as the sun passes over my house and begins to set. My plant is healthy, compact/bushy, and throwing out vines in all direction...In addition it has many pitchers. I've never repotted it since getting it from the nursery over a year ago; and yes the media looks like a compressed brick of some unidentifiable peat mixture. I constantly trim the vines and attempt to root them (some are successful). Personally I noticed more numerous, and larger pitchers when I keep a spray bottle of distilled H2O next to the plant and mist it whenever I think of it. I do not have it on a water tray - I water it maybe a couple times a week. Hope this helps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast