Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 year old 4 foot tall Ventrata. Looking for advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 year old 4 foot tall Ventrata. Looking for advice

I have had a Nepenthese Ventrata for 6 years now. For several years it struggles and didn't grow much. It started vining a few year ago, and a year ago I trimmed off some tiny sucker vines and some dying yellowed ones, and it took off. It has 3 vines, the tallest is 4 feet. I have it propped up on a makeshift trellis made of bamboo skewers bound with twist ties lol! It still only produced a few pitchers (like 4) and 3 are half dried up after a few months.

I live in Minnesota, and though we get humid weather in the summer it gets really nasty so we use the AC a lot. Humidity usually in the 50's. Over the winter it can get down to around 35% though.

I have it planted in a mix of perlite, sphagnum moss, and orchid bark.

First off, short of putting it in its own tank or room what can I do to help it grow more pitchers rather than the tips just shriveling up. Secondly, is it okay to let it vine out like I have? Thirdly, if letting it vine like I have is ok, can I get suggestions on how to manage the vine? Can anyone recommend some sort of trellis, and provide tips on how to train the vine without hurting it? Lastly, post up any other suggestions on plant care that I missed that might help please.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its not pitchering, odds are the humidity is too low, but it also looks like a plant that is starved for light. Low light = no pitchers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What direction is that window facing? And has it ever been repotted while it's been in your possession? I somehow doubt low humidity is the case, when I lived in bone-dry Anaheim,CA I had a ventrata that was pitchering like it was going out of style.
    How can gravity be so strong if it doesn't even lift?
    >Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/gr...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mist it once a day, as well as increase light. I had a maxima that refused to pitcher even in the humid CT summers, but once it started getting misted it went nuts and grew all of the tiny could have been pitchers into full sized(for a a baby, it's bigger now) pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light is absolute max. South facing window gets lots of sun. Picture was taken in the evening. At times I had to move it into less sun in the past as it got sunburned.

I haven't repotted it in years. I was always told that they only use their roots for taking up water so I didn't think I had to worry about nutrient depletion.

I also thought I should add that it has always produced very few pitchers. This past year it has done a lot better than it ever has. I think maybe it's finally adapting? I also put it outside on nice days from time to time to eat. I put it on a metal table on concrete to reduce the number of crawling bugs that might come along, and also the water tray makes a good moat. I shake it down and check the top moss layer before bringing it in and no bugs have been brought in yet, and it doesn't have any infestations. A few years ago it fought off a few recurring red spider mite infestations with the help of some neem oil. My parent's Hawaiian Ti tree plant was harboring them. Finally killed then all off 2 years ago.
    Last edited by Tman; 09-08-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most neps don't like tray method they like their soil on the dryer side of damp. But that's my experience atleast. It may be the light maybe u could suppliment witg artificial light like a cfl light system. Misting would help greatly and you may wanna keep it outside if your able to cause moving it around may be giving it a hard time acclimating to where it is. U may wanna check on the fluid inside of the pitchers it does have and maybe fill them up a little bit if they are empty or low and toss a few bugs in their to help it get some energy from food if it isn't catching much of its own prey. I'm sure others will have good information for you as well all i can do is share what i do Goodluck
    Last edited by KATastrophe; 09-08-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also u can try snipping the vine and potting the cutting up to root and they will basal off into new plants. And the main vine will produce more offsets aswell. Usually you chop 2 to 3 leaf nodes Down for a cutting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ventrata started pitchering like crazy once I started spraying/misting it by hand every evening before I go to bed. I'd start with that. Just soak it with clean water from top (or as high as you can reach, looks pretty tall) to bottom and keep it up for a few weeks. See what happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast