Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next on Springer: "My Nepenthes is a TRANNY!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post

Also, do Nepenthes have a way of releasing hormones or such into their environment to change the sex of one or more of them similar to how clownfish will?
    I doubt anyone has studied that possibility. Few have access to a large enough body of plants to even consider such an investigation. But it would be a great thing to look into! I suspect the mechanism is "knowable", but I don't think anyone has gone looking for it - yet!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    How long can Nepenthes pollen be stored? If it was at all possible I'd have to try and self that thing!
    If you're lucky, it will last a year if properly dried, then frozen. But it's moot, since I didn't store any of its pollen last year If only I'd known what this year was going to bring......

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next year it pulls up its roots and walks, or is that sashays?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Next year it pulls up its roots and walks, or is that sashays?
    At this point, I wouldn't discount the possibility! Probably take itself off to the mall to buy a new wardrobe!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Paul, Asia -- particularly Thailand -- has always been a destination for those who would care for that radical surgical approach; so is it any wonder that your newly found sequential hermaphrodite comes from the Pacific Rim?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Well, Paul, Asia -- particularly Thailand -- has always been a destination for those who would care for that radical surgical approach; so is it any wonder that your newly found sequential hermaphrodite comes from the Pacific Rim?
    Gentlemen, you are cracking me up...

My only experience has been with N. 'Isle de France' -- plant is labeled male, but it produced a bunch of female flowers this past year. It could be an error on the label, I suppose. The pitchers are spot on for the cultivar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    David, I suspect this phenomenon has nothing to do with it being a tissue cultured plant - I expect this is something some individuals can do as part of their natural reproductive process. Just think how easy it would be to miss this phenomenon in wild populations!

Or or maybe some individuals* - once they reach a certain age - can afford the resources to manufacture seeds (an expensive proposition for any plant; they have to have the resources available to make seeds or the plant can die from the effort) and so they can switch gender once they feel able to make seed, which is surely an asset in terms of increasing species survivability. With an average of 7 males to every 3 females in most species found in situ, adding a few more females to the equation - especially healthy, robust adults that can afford to make copious seed - would be a real asset, wouldn't you think? So . . do you happen to know if your friends hamata was an older, fully established adult plant or not?
    The reason that I had mentioned tissue culture, was that there was some talk that somaclonal variation could play some role in sexual expression; though I have never witnessed it.

In answer to your question, Paul, my friend's plant was an older adult, which had flowered a number of times, as a male. Now it has become moody and capricious, heh, heh, heh . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow the gender fluidity movement is really catching on, even in Nepenthes.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast