What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this white stuff on the leaf?

I noticed some white stuff that i can scrape off today on my Nepenthes.

Is this powder mildew?

THANKS!!

Not powdery mildew. I've noticed it on some of my Nep leaves, but a quick rub with a wet paper towel gets rid of it pretty easily. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it might be mineral residue from the water I use. It doesn't really seem to harm the plants though.

Im fairly certain this is just dried flakes of sphagnum moss.

Im fairly certain this is just dried flakes of sphagnum moss.

Definitely in the first photo, but look hard at the second and you'll see what he's talking about. It's a pale white sheen that looks almost like mosaic.

These aren't mineral deposits (which are more irregularly shaped and easily disappear with surface water on the leaf), but rather epicuticular wax, like the bloom on the outside of grapes.

Ah, that's good to know. It's strange seeing it on that N. veitchii, I've only ever seen it on Nepenthes that have smooth/glossy leaves. Perhaps it's induced by environmental conditions?

Ah, that's good to know. It's strange seeing it on that N. veitchii, I've only ever seen it on Nepenthes that have smooth/glossy leaves. Perhaps it's induced by environmental conditions?

Personally, I've noticed that it's a lot more prominent on stressed plants, especially in low humidity, or plants that have poor roots, which interfere with water uptake. The thicker cuticle and extra wax might be a plant's defense to water loss due to transpiration.

Last edited:
Makes sense now, I've observed it on some of the plants that I recently moved from my terrarium to the windowsill.

Ya, i recently bought this plant. Prob from stress then. thanks!! really appreciate the feedbacks

Definitely in the first photo, but look hard at the second and you'll see what he's talking about. It's a pale white sheen that looks almost like mosaic.

Ooooh I thought he was talking about the specks. I see what you mean now.

Back