What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Sphagnum always seem to grow better with nepenthes

I've observed that sphagnum moss always seems to grow better with nepenthes, than with other plants such as drosera. I was at california carnivores on Saturday and talked to Peter D' amato and asked him whether or not he found the same thing, and he said that he noticed the same thing. Sphagnum placed in nepenthes pots for me always grows better and faster than sphagnum placed in other pots even under same conditions. Anyone have an explanation for this?

I think its cause its getting moistened all the way through and misted but that's just my guess. I've noticed similar resumes when i top watered my plants for an expiriment with some of my droseras and VFTs. It even had results of dead brown/yellow sphag coming back to life and regrowing! But i can't really tell u what the real phenomenon is i can only guess but maybe others have the answer you are looking for. :) im interested in finding out why aswell. Goodluck

I grow a number of genera in live sphagnum, and have noticed little difference. I always used the moss as an indicator of a plant's health -- whether they were in need of watering; whether they were potentially over-fertilized; whether humidity was sufficient, etc.

Happy moss = happy plant . . .

I grow a number of genera in live sphagnum, and have noticed little difference. I always used the moss as an indicator of a plant's health -- whether they were in need of watering; whether they were potentially over-fertilized; whether humidity was sufficient, etc.

Happy moss = happy plant . . .

Well said!

Couldnt agree more, i always love using it as pot toppers to tell how happy my plants are plus it looks nice :)

Back