Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Other Mini Indoor Nepenthes?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I'd say N. glabrata. It generally stays pretty small!
    Until it starts to vine, that is. Then, you can easily get three feet of growth in a year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I'd say N. glabrata. It generally stays pretty small!
    I've seen several 10'+ N.glabrata. Not exactly what I would consider small or compact.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I've seen several 10'+ N.glabrata. Not exactly what I would consider small or compact.
    None of them stay compact/small once they reach adulthood. Any species that vines (and that's the vast majority) will make yards and yards of vines.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my hands on a N. glabrata x aristolochioides and although it likely wont stay small forever, it certainly is tiny for now and is not putting on size very rapidly at all. My N. singalana x hamata has stayed compact and small for over 3 years now.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. Albomarginata. In my conditions it still hasn't started to vine and I've hadi it at least 5 years now. Pitchers fine etc. Also N. Veitchii LL stays very small and compact for me.
    Last edited by pmatil; 09-23-2015 at 02:53 AM.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have already noted, even small-leaved Nepenthes like glabrata can get "large", that is, many yards/meters long. Having said that, a 6-foot / 2m gracilis is much more manageable than a 6-foot / 2m bicalcarata, even if the gracilis has multiple vines. Leaf size is an important factor in the volume of space your plant will occupy. For small spaces, your best bet is a small-leaved plant that also basals easily. With a constant supply of basals, you can remove longer vines that no longer fit your space. Judging from photos (not personal experience), mikei is a highlander with small leaves that seems to basal frequently. Gracilis is a good lowland example. Ventricosa is also a good bet, as is "thorelii" x alata Kondo (a Bruce Bednar hybrid).

Pot size can also be used to control plant size. Consider, for instance, how large tree species are dwarfed through bonsai techniques. A few Nepenthes growers have kept plants small through using small pots, but this appears to be an under-explored area of Nepenthes growing. But pot size is not the only factor -- choice of medium also makes a big difference. I have several seedlings of the same grex ((smilessi x maxima) x (boschiana x (spectabilis x veitchii))), all in 3.5" square pots, and all growing in 100% inorganic media (perlite or rockwool). Generally speaking, those in pure perlite are far smaller than those growing in rockwool cubes, even though the plants are in the same size pots and are the same age. This is probably because rockwool holds moisture better than the perlite. The perlite-grown plants still look healthy, pitcher well, and don't show salt burn (I water them daily) -- they're just smaller and haven't shown the great leaps in size of their siblings grown in rockwool cubes. Whether they can be maintained at small size in that medium for several years is yet to be determined, however. I'll have to get back to you in a few years.
    Last edited by mikulas; 09-24-2015 at 06:15 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second mikulas input.

Nepenthes can be "bonsai'd" to an extent by keeping them in a small pot or severing the growth point and encouraging basals. Also not fertilizing your plants will keep them small too. My N. singalana x hamata has literally not grown in overall size almost at all since I purchased it in 2012.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how useful Acro (the OP) has found this thread to be, but I've found it quite informative. Thanks, gentlemen. While it is a shame there aren't any real mini's with regards to final size, it is good to know that some basal rather frequently which would allow cutting off any vining growth and that some others grow slowly enough to allow them to be enjoyed for a number of years before rehoming would be necessary. It was also useful to get some idea of what category (HL, I, LL) the different suggestions fit. While my interest is mainly with intermediates as I cannot easily meet HL or LL conditions currently, others in similar space challenged situations with different conditions, I think, will also be able to find this thread's contents of value. (Not sure how often this topic pops up, but perhaps when all is said and done, this thread might be deemed worthy of being "stickied".)
    Last edited by DragonsEye; 09-23-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast