What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newly rooted cutting flowering

Is this normal? Should I try to do something about it or just let it grow? I have a second cutting of the same plant (aristolochioides x spectabilis) which looks like it's going to do the same thing. Both cuttings activated 2 nodes when they rooted as well.

7jeFiYh.jpg

Cuttings often do this - it's a kind of panic response to the damage of cutting. Flowers are costly for the plant, so unless you really need the pollen, I'd remove those blooms. (If it's female, don't pollinate them! The plant can't support seed production at this stage)

I have no idea if it's a male or female vine actually. Should I cut the inflorescence or just pinch the buds off?

Thanks for the advice. There appears to be 2 inflorescences growing from that growth point I took the picture of, hopefully it doesn't try again after I clip them off.

if there are two, its not so great because that often means that the bud terminates in a flower

Id clip the flower stalk off

Well if that does terminate that growth point, there's already another activated on the cutting, and a third unactivated node at soil level so it should be fine. Just as long as it doesn't try to grow flowers a second time after cutting those.

Back