User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes seed germination setup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I don't know what to do. I was really looking forward to growing nepenthes amp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well u could buy a N. Amp and grow that or buy seeds from a reliable source and try again. I suggest u try posting on here "looking to buy/trade" for nep seeds and see who may have some for you to practice on until u get a good method going to then try species seeds like N. Amp. I have some N. Reinwardtiana seeds that i didn't use but they are getting old since they have lower germination the older they are and the longer you wait to sow them. I wouldn't mind giving u some if u send me a sase but you would prob have to do a GA3 soak which i wouldn't mind giving you enough to do so if interested. You could try giving new N. Amp seeds if u choose to purchase again a GA3 soak and see if that helps keep the fungi low and the germination have a better chance. Pm me if interested. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a few searches and see how people grow Nep seeds. there a re few guides here and elsewhere.

For the most part, I think Nep seeds are easy given a few simple conditions and fresh seed. I read somewhere that Neps will germinate of damp paper towel - I havent tried it but it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest.

light, warmth (definition is variable) and humidity is pretty much it I think.
    my seeds dont get airflow - I do get some fungus issues - usually not. maybe I dont get perfect germination but a single pod of seeds gives you more than you can deal with. I mostly produce all my own seeds so they are typically fresh when I sow but they have germinated well after many months.
    media can vary as well. my first round of germination was on sphag peat. then I tried it again and it didnt work - retrospectively, im pretty sure it was the seeds.
    then I went to coco peat which I loved after sorting the kinks out.
    recently I sowed the same seeds on LFS and coco peat and placed them side by side. they are just starting to come up but coco is winning so far. we will see in a few months.

As was said, get fresh local seed and try again. its easy!
    you should have asked these questions before getting seeds though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic has been covered here any number of times on this forum; and mold issues may be easily dealt with, or prevented with some simple planning. The following was my "two cents" from another recent thread on the subject of sowing Nepenthes seed:

Sterilizing the media is a good overall preventative; but no one seems to be addressing the nature of the seed itself.

Lowland Nepenthes and even some odd highlander seed are notoriously "dirty" in terms of fungal contamination; and one of the easier methods for cleaning them, prior to sowing; or, for use in TC, involves cleaning the seed with peracetic acid or vinoxide (CH3OOOH), which can easily be prepared with household 3% hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar -- acetic acid, typically at 5% acidity. It is prepared in a 4:1 ratio of H2O2 to vinegar. The vinegar is heated to boiling in a microwave and added to room temperature H2O2. It is a powerful oxidizer and antimicrobial, but does not harm the seed.

They can be soaked for as little as an thirty minutes and sown without rinsing.

My typical compost for seed is a 2:1 mix of milled sphagnum to horticultural sand . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These past two days I've just felt like a big failure... I mean sure I was hoping some would germinate but I didn't think I'd get mold. This is just really discouraging me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get discouraged. I tried sowing Nepenthes seeds and the first time I tried, I failed. Hard. The 2nd time I did it I sowed them onto milled long-fiber sphagnum moss, placed them on a water tray underneath a humidity dome. If you only sow 1 pot then putting it in a ziploc bag under appropriate lighting would suffice. I checked on them a couple times a week and sprayed them with distilled water. QUITE A LOT got moldy/gross and so I used tweezers to get rid of them. It probably took me MONTHS to see any activity. Finally - I noticed 1 little green seedling...then 2....then 6...and so on. Now I've got 12 little pots filled with individual seedlings that I've selected from the batch. Just be patient.

EDIT: I have even purchased several seed orders from the ICPS seedbank...placed all the seeds into pots in the exact same media/conditions...on the exact same water tray, under the same lights, etc. And some STILL don't germinate. It isn't an exact science - You just have to find what works for your conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like me and bigbella mentioned sterilization on the seed is important cause nep seeds in general can be very dirty and he has a very good procedure to sterilizing the seeds so dont be scared to try again justvsearch for diff techniques that will work for you and try again.. If first you don't succeed..try again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I staralize the seeds?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast