User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Highland or intermediate nepenthes.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck finding tenuis (and no, it's not terribly like ampullaria). If you are looking for intermediate/highland Nepenthes I would stick with hybrids until you have the space and experience to work with species, as they tend to be more temperamental. A lot of ventricosa hybrids do well and many don't actually look terribly like that parent. Spathulata hybrids, maxima, ramispina and hybrids etc might do well if you can find them.
    And, if you purchase Nepenthes, most are going to survive temps in the 60's if they are exposed only for short periods (and highlanders kind of require drops at night to temps a fair bit lower than that to survive). It's when temps dip into the low 40's or 30's that you begin to worry.
    By the way, are you the person I was talking with on FB?
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you can ask many people here that I've had my fair share (maybe more) shipping issues Shi i totally understand. If you PM me I'm sure i can give u some links to some sellers who I've purchased from and have had no issues on my end and are very reliable sellers. You could also try Andrew's site (the owner of this forum) Venus Fly Traps and other Carnivorous plants For Sale at FlyTrapShop
    But i don't kno what his stock is on Neps.

And if you are purchasing make sure you tell the seller in the source provided that your temps are '60F' and you would like them to package accordingly and their may put a heat pack or protective packaging to ship it without stress and harm to yr plant.
    And i actually like to tell them to actually right on the box "LIVE PLANT KEEP ABOVE 50F handle with care" so the USPS can know cause they are pretty careless sometimes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the person I bought the ampurila from packed the plant in a lightbulb box, and I was so disappointed because someone else ordered from this person and the plant arrived nice and green. While mine was all black. Some online sites say that they are out of stock and I try e-mailing them and never get a reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello? anyone out there?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be in your best interests to purchase only from US-based suppliers until you have a couple of years experience under your belt. Imports often arrived compromised and need life support grade care. Secondly, don't bother buying seeds - you're not ready for that.

reading your posts about this - it's completely unclear to me whether you have lowland (hot) conditions or intermediate (cool-ish) conditions to contend with. You've mentioned tenuis and bicalcarata, which require temps at the opposite end of the scale and cannot be grown together. So help us understand what you are hoping to achieve: describe your growing conditions (including both daytime high temps and night time lows) in detail, please?
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 10-17-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to say that in the temperature is more on the cool side. 70- 65 during both day and night. I'm trying to find sellers in the USA but it's hard to find sellers.
    Last edited by Rareraven; 10-17-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rareraven View Post
    I am going to say that in the temperature is more on the cool side. 70- 65 during both day and night. I'm trying to find sellers in the USA but it's hard to find sellers.
    If there is only a five degree differential between night and day in your growing space, then Nepenthes aren't a good choice for you. They need a day-to-night differential of at least 20 degrees F to grow properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well they are sort of in my basement.so its cool down there but in the summer time it does get a bit warm since the grow shelf is near a door. I know this is complicated to understand and I wish I had a picture to show you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast