User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Highland or intermediate nepenthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe but I'm a college student and I can't buy a nepenthes that is 170 from online. I just feel like some plants are a bit over prices even if they are the rare kind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rareraven View Post
    Maybe but I'm a college student and I can't buy a nepenthes that is 170 from online. I just feel like some plants are a bit over prices even if they are the rare kind.
    With some exceptions, hybrids are generally both cheaper than the parents and much easier to grow. You'll be very hard pressed to find an easy-to-grow beginner hybrid going for $170 - most sites offer good-sized plants for less than $20.

To quote someone else's statement: growing Nepenthes seriously will always be a rich man's game. If you're not going to make some sort of investment (large or small, monetary or experience/time-wise) in growing this genus, then it is unlikely that you will progress beyond owning common windowsill plants. The larger your investment, the more successful you will be with these plants - it's your choice to decide where you want to draw the line.
    Last edited by SerMuncherIV; 10-17-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of excellent hybrids you can purchase for $50 or less as long as you aren't hoping to find the rare (and pricier) species. Those will always be expensive. Nepenthes is a rich man's hobby, I assure you. But as I stated, Terraforums is a merchant-provided site and we are not allowed to mention other vendors in discussions here.
    Still, it seems like you need to do more research about growing Nepenthes, because you're likely going to have to engineer more specific conditions in your basement if you expect to have any success.

That said .....

Google is your friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to have an exaggerated idea of what Nepenthes cost. Of course, some can bring in those prices, and much higher. However, I know for a fact you can find common or NoID hybrids for as little as $20-$30 a pop. Ebay is not the only source for Nepenthes or CP's in general.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    You seem to have an exaggerated idea of what Nepenthes cost. Of course, some can bring in those prices, and much higher. However, I know for a fact you can find common or NoID hybrids for as little as $20-$30 a pop. Ebay is not the only source for Nepenthes or CP's in general.
    Heck, I have been mailing surplus plants to friends for free for the past two weeks. Make friends with the senior growers, perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are the senior growers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've discussed this with the OP previously..even discussed how we can't send links and told him theirs other places online he could do a simple search on google 'nepenthes for sale in US' and i even explained to the OP that even if a seller is selling on 2 sites that if one says 'out of stock' the other site They sell on May still have them available but they are only to be sold on that site because of the agreement to do so. And they should look around for info on nepenthes before hand and getting into hard to find and fussy nep species.

Rareraven.. I use a tank for my HL Neps. I have a 'Repti-fogger' and a 'Hygro-therm' humidity, temp controller with a night drop feature. I also use a 'top aquatic "cooling fan"' to help with dropping the temp at night to Keep everything at the temps required to grow them correctly. I also have a 250 watt CFL 2000+ lumen Grow light on a timer to when the sun rises till the sun sets. If your gonna get into this hobby it can be very expensive and may add up quickly, especially when u start mixing HL, LL and intermediate species cause then you have to have different temp And humidity requirements for each different species which May require the items i listed above per tank unless your temps are ideal to one type of species that you could grow on your Window sill until cool weather starts. I suggest u go on eBay search the items i listed above in the "quotations" and start writing down the costs of such things and see what your budget could afford before going forward with purchasing anything out of your spectrum of growing conditions and temperature range.
    Then decide on what nep you can grow.

First thing i suggest you do is go to a local hardware store and get a thermometer and put it where you are gonna keep this plant you want to buy and write down the temperature of your day temps and night temps - Then u can figure out what species you can care for
    Last edited by KATastrophe; 10-17-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most nepenthes are in the biding area. I'm not good with bidding.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast