What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland or intermediate nepenthes.

Id say :

Step 7: ONLY concentrate on one species (ex: HL, LL or intermediate) Dont Mix and Match species, until you further your growing skills.

Thats classification of nepenthes tempermental Tolerances/conditions. Not species. Lowland is not a species.

LIKE I SAID, research the plant you want and mimic the environment it comes from.
Simple as that. If you want lowlanders, make a lowland chamber. Same for highland.

Last edited:
Rareraven: the Terraforums Classifieds on this site has a handful of species and hybrids of Nepenthes for sale, you can look those up directly, contact the sellers perhaps to find out what the necessary growing conditions are, and you can go from there. But, as others have said, investment in some form of condition control (i.e. a very large terrarium or tank OR a small greenhouse; mine fits in my living room) is going to be almost certainly necessary, especially if your natural conditions do not have temperature swings.
Most hybrid Nepenthes will tolerate wide ranges of conditions, from lowland to highland, but even they require some form of nighttime temp drop from the daytime highs to do well. Most hybrid Nepenthes are also relatively inexpensive, averaging $15-30 apiece; you're only going to find the high prices for rare hybrids like N. x briggsiana 'Peter D'Amato' or the rare species like villosa, edwardsiana, tenuis, etc. Stay focused on the easier hybrids. And don't worry if they have a parent plant that seems common. My Sunset Songs grex, for example, does have ventricosa as a parent, for example, but the offspring range in appearance from almost a slender 'Red Leopard'-type plant to something that looks like a colorful Indochinese species; only things like vent's scalloped peristome actually show through from that parent.
Also, as mentioned, Google or the search function in this forum is your friend. Nearly everything you need to look up has already been typed out and posted a hundred times over.

And, if you do want species, and find one that will fit your conditions, believe me: someone on these forums probably has it, and if you're willing to work with them they may have something to spare. I know people on these forums from my own state even that have just about every Nepenthes species (and seemingly hybrid) in existence, so the easier ones are definitely not out of reach.

Thats classification of nepenthes tempermental Tolerances/conditions. Not species. Lowland is not a species.

LIKE I SAID, research the plant you want and mimic the environment it comes from.
Simple as that. If you want lowlanders, make a lowland chamber. Same for highland.

Lol True, haha. I knew what i meant but apparently i should choose a different word that everyone Will understand. Pretty tired from explaining stuff to the OP in our PM conversations last night about everything everyone is talking About...ahrg.

So OP Choose only one Classification (HL, LL or intermediate)..not all types.

I really think you Need to stop Assuming YOU CAN'T get something or Find something until youve put in the Effort to do so, rareraven.
I personally have sent you sites of the Vent x Amp 'lady luck' you said you wanted on 4 different sites, and all u said was "ok well their prob out of stock and its 60F now and im gonna have to wait to ship it so it isnt damaged" and i explained to you that they arent out of stock and that you can ask for a heat pack to ship ur item safely before it gets colder and u said "you didnt kno theyd do that" and i explained how you could go about doing so ..etc..etc

I really think u need to look through different Neps and pick what you can care for and look up information on caring for it, then make your purchase when you know you can care for the new addition.

You can ask people on this fourm for what your looking for and for help go to the "looking to buy" section and post what your looking for and watch the people come to you who have the item you are looking for.

Look up Nepenthes Lady Luck, it's a cheap hybrid that many places sell and can grow on a windowsill and can be very attractive

Also Nepenthes ventrata and Nepenthes Miranda are hybrids that are cheap and easy to get and grow well on a windowsill

There's an online store that was offering a killer deal on N. 'Lady Luck' and D. Aliciae. I wanted to buy one of those neps but I just ordered a couple pygmy Sundews, so I need to let my wallet rest a bit. Just checked and the Neps have been restocked, so you could grab one if you can find them. Wish I could tell you where to get them :(

If this has already been mentioned I apologize, but you also need to check and see if you can provide the right humidity for the neps you want. The original triad is temperature (including nightly drops), amount of light required and humidity. But, once these are satisfied and you have a nep that not only you won't find boring but is actually thriving for you, another problem will raise it's head. That happy nep will be growing, and growing and GROWING. You need to plan ahead for things like larger pots, fertilizer and potting media. Research those now so you'll know what to buy when the time comes.

My first mistake was buying a nep that I could afford but it quickly outgrew my growing space for it. I ended up giving it away here on the trade board. I then saved and planned and other than a Red leopard, which was a gift, and an amp cutting to root, got no more neps until I had much larger quarters prepared.

So DO YOUR RESEARCH, learn what inexpensive plants, maybe not just neps, you can grow and take a deep breath. If you are still living at home ask for gift certificate to an aquarium store for a holiday gift then you can buy a 20 gallon tank to start.

I have a 55 gal tank at my parents house but its filled with fish...

I have a 55 gal tank at my parents house but its filled with fish...
Keep an eye out, on line and off, yard sales, etc lots of times have tanks for sale cheap. Places like Petsmart will have dollar a gallon sales.

As others have said, N. ventricosa, N. x ventrata, and N. x miranda are the "standard" beginners Nepenthes. You've said you already have ventricosa so why not try getting ventrata and miranda now? Neither are similar to ventricosa and both are very easy to grow, as well as being very cheap.

Also, If you're bored of your ventricosa because it isnt growing fast enough, then you'll likely be dissapointed by any other species as well, because ventricosa is one of the more vigorous Nepenthes out there.

Last edited:
Back