What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland or intermediate nepenthes.

So I am in Minnesota and I found out that it's best to have lowland or intermediate nepenthes. No one told me this. Before I thought my conditions were more that of lowland but I was wrong. All I have for nepenthes are two ventracosa plants.

Are there any highland or intermediate nepenthes that do not look like or resemble nepenthes ventracosa that I could find in the us and are under 50 bucks? If I have to go through another winter looking at ventracosa I'm going to die of boredom!

Umm... I guess it depends on your preference for nepenthes, many highlander neps especially the rearer or crazy fangy perisome types ppl fond over can be pricey online or through trade/private sale..etc..
I guess its really based on where you look to purchase plants online, like eBay, Amazon, flytrapshop..etc..etc and their shipping fees and price for the plant that catches your fancy. Some people like toothy perisomes, some like stripey ones, others like dark pitcher, others like colorful ones..etc..etc. I guess the best way is to look up Nep species with whatever traits catch ur eye and write them down then search online for purchase prices at different online sellers or ppl in the cp community on here and see if they know where you could find the plants your looking for. My advice would be to look up and do your reading on the plant u Decide on before u get it to make sure you have the proper temps and conditions to care for the new addition. And i would suggest too ask questions here if you need help with anything :)

And dont go super crazy like getting a Hamata or a Macro until you've worked on some cheaper yet less fussy-er types to warm your self up to growing different types of neps.. Cause some HLs are fussy and some are happy as long as they get their temp drop at night..its funny that way!
Goodluck let us kno what you come up with as choices :)

I want the Fanged Nepenthes...bicalcarata I think is the name....
I was thinking of getting a Ventracoas x ampuruilia one but I don't know after my attempted at growing nepenthes from seeds I got off ebay. The seeds were not fresh and now I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to have more than just ventracosa.

Well bical is a LL nep so thats not a HL/Intermediate species and requires fifteen temps and humidity to grow properly.

U could try buying a Lady Luck amp (vent x amp) from eBay already grown they have them for like 20$ for 2 plants done with or without a dome. I have two they are nice but mine like it closer to HL-ish conditions. Like 50F at night and no warmer than 85 F during the day, and no less then 60% humidity, buttheads just me

Last edited:
Well bical is a LL nep so thats not a HL/Intermediate species and requires fifteen temps and humidity to grow properly.

U could try buying a Lady Luck amp (vent x amp) from eBay already grown they have them for like 20$ for 2 plants done with or without a dome. I have two they are nice but mine like it closer to HL-ish conditions. Like 50F at night and no warmer than 85 F during the day, and no less then 60% humidity, buttheads just me

What do you mean by fifteen temps?

Huh? Oooh lol darn phone strikes again.. I meant DIFFERENT temps not 15 temps lol.

Do you have any people that you trust to buy from? I feel like I've failed with trying to buy ampurila from over seas and the plant was black in the package when I opened it. Its like 60's here now and I dont know if the plants will survive in shipping if I buy plants from someone.

Nepenthes tenuis are sort of like Ampurila right?

Good luck finding tenuis (and no, it's not terribly like ampullaria). If you are looking for intermediate/highland Nepenthes I would stick with hybrids until you have the space and experience to work with species, as they tend to be more temperamental. A lot of ventricosa hybrids do well and many don't actually look terribly like that parent. Spathulata hybrids, maxima, ramispina and hybrids etc might do well if you can find them.
And, if you purchase Nepenthes, most are going to survive temps in the 60's if they are exposed only for short periods (and highlanders kind of require drops at night to temps a fair bit lower than that to survive). It's when temps dip into the low 40's or 30's that you begin to worry.
By the way, are you the person I was talking with on FB?

Well you can ask many people here that I've had my fair share (maybe more) shipping issues Shi i totally understand. If you PM me I'm sure i can give u some links to some sellers who I've purchased from and have had no issues on my end and are very reliable sellers. You could also try Andrew's site (the owner of this forum) Venus Fly Traps and other Carnivorous plants For Sale at FlyTrapShop ;)
But i don't kno what his stock is on Neps.

And if you are purchasing make sure you tell the seller in the source provided that your temps are '60F' and you would like them to package accordingly and their may put a heat pack or protective packaging to ship it without stress and harm to yr plant.
And i actually like to tell them to actually right on the box "LIVE PLANT KEEP ABOVE 50°F handle with care" so the USPS can know cause they are pretty careless sometimes

yeah the person I bought the ampurila from packed the plant in a lightbulb box, and I was so disappointed because someone else ordered from this person and the plant arrived nice and green. While mine was all black. Some online sites say that they are out of stock and I try e-mailing them and never get a reply.

It would be in your best interests to purchase only from US-based suppliers until you have a couple of years experience under your belt. Imports often arrived compromised and need life support grade care. Secondly, don't bother buying seeds - you're not ready for that.

reading your posts about this - it's completely unclear to me whether you have lowland (hot) conditions or intermediate (cool-ish) conditions to contend with. You've mentioned tenuis and bicalcarata, which require temps at the opposite end of the scale and cannot be grown together. So help us understand what you are hoping to achieve: describe your growing conditions (including both daytime high temps and night time lows) in detail, please?

Last edited:
I am going to say that in the temperature is more on the cool side. 70- 65 during both day and night. I'm trying to find sellers in the USA but it's hard to find sellers.

Last edited:
I am going to say that in the temperature is more on the cool side. 70- 65 during both day and night. I'm trying to find sellers in the USA but it's hard to find sellers.

If there is only a five degree differential between night and day in your growing space, then Nepenthes aren't a good choice for you. They need a day-to-night differential of at least 20 degrees F to grow properly.

well they are sort of in my basement.so its cool down there but in the summer time it does get a bit warm since the grow shelf is near a door. I know this is complicated to understand and I wish I had a picture to show you.

well they are sort of in my basement.so its cool down there but in the summer time it does get a bit warm since the grow shelf is near a door. I know this is complicated to understand and I wish I had a picture to show you.

So - it sounds to me like you don't actually know what the temperature range of the space is.....
By the way, there are plenty of merchants in the USA to sell you Nepenthes - but as this is a merchant-sponsored site, we're not allowed to discuss other merchants by name.

Well what do I do to see the temp in the area of my grow shelf?

Someone help me on what I should do first. I dont know what thermometer to try.

This whole thing is messed up and its making me depressed.

Last edited:
Back