Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ampullaria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ampullaria

Getting an ampullaria red soon! I looked around many sources for the care sheet and they were all kinda contradicting each other. Some said to give it shade since it grows on the forest floor in the wild, some said to give it full direct sunlight.

So I decided to ask you guys for your first-hand experiences.

What are your conditions like? Is your place windy? When raining, do you move your ampullaria in or do you let the plant to do its own thing? Should I be worried when the pitchers overflow because the lid is like 180 open?

Thanks.Ampullaria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While they can grow in shade, I prefer growing mine in bright light. I grow mine indoors in a lowland/intermediate terrarium. I water it all the time. I would not be concerned about the lid, as that is how it grows in nature. I grow it in cypress bark topped off with live LFS.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All 3 that I have prefer light on the brighter end of things, though perhaps not full sun (I grow mine inside so that's not a possibility anyway), and AFTER being established they have no problem even being almost flooded....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    All 3 that I have prefer light on the brighter end of things, though perhaps not full sun (I grow mine inside so that's not a possibility anyway), and AFTER being established they have no problem even being almost flooded....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
    While they can grow in shade, I prefer growing mine in bright light. I grow mine indoors in a lowland/intermediate terrarium. I water it all the time. I would not be concerned about the lid, as that is how it grows in nature. I grow it in cypress bark topped off with live LFS.
    I think I'll keep them in bright filtered sunlight then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Partial-sun type conditions are good for them, and they can take some direct light, just make sure you acclimate your plant to higher light if you decide to go with it because the N. ampullaria might be used to low-light conditions and you wouldn't want it to get burned.