What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Death Cube Rescue!

So I walked into lowes today, and as usual looked at the plants. They had the usual many almost dead VFTs, but in the back of the $10 row, of course not the $5 row, I saw this little Nep screaming to save him or he'd eat me in the next life. First photo is in the box, second is it re-potted into my greenhouse. It is labeled as a ventricosa but doesn't look like one, of course it is still just small. When I repotted it I discovered it was a rooted basal shoot with one little string root, not a seedling or TC clone.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Nick

Last edited:
Its likely a ventricosa, you wouldnt be able to tell this early on anyways. (especially not in such an unhealthy condition)

The leaves look consistent with my ventricosas though.

Nice save!

Last edited:
Keep us posted on it. I sometimes see ventricosas in the lowes next to my place, but they are rare.

Its possible it could be an alta as well, but I havent seen those in years

Thanks :) I've done many many rescues and Nepenthes are rare to find, mostly just sarracenia purpurea and rubras. Years ago I got an alata from a nursery, the thing grew into a five foot vine and just died this summer.

Nick

Back