What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes can't stand upright

How do you get nepenthes to stand? Mine can barely stand and it keeps toppling over, lol.

Last edited:
Nepenthes is a vine, so they are not very sturdy. I stake mine upright, but some prefer to leave them as a scrambling vine.

Nick

Nepenthes is a vine, so they are not very sturdy. I stake mine upright, but some prefer to leave them as a scrambling vine.

Nick
I bought a small bamboo and tied it together. Hopefully the entire bamboo doesn't topple over.

Nepenthes isn't usually supposed to stand. Some do, but most get staked. I personally let mine grow wherever they feel like.

The genus is a vining plant. No support = a plant that falls over.

If the pot is too small, also, or not really heavy, the plant might topple over if it's sufficiently long. If it's because of that reason, I suggest mixing pumice into the potting mix, and/or repotting to a bigger pot.

Good luck!

If the pot is too small, also, or not really heavy, the plant might topple over if it's sufficiently long. If it's because of that reason, I suggest mixing pumice into the potting mix, and/or repotting to a bigger pot.

Good luck!
Pumice holds the root system down? If so, I'm definitely gonna purchase a bag and mix it in.

It may also stem from light. Like most people said here, nepenthes are a climbing genus. If you have an unstaked, 2 foot tall ventrata, it's just vining. If you have a 3 inch plant and it's toppling over, it's definitely a light issue.

Pumice holds the root system down? If so, I'm definitely gonna purchase a bag and mix it in.

Pumice is pretty much interchangeable with perlite but is much heavier. It will definitely help if the plant is in danger of falling over.

I use clay pots and a Nep mix containing permatill so that it's weighty enough to support the plants.

Back