What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Osmocote pellet should I buy?

What do you guys recommend?

In my country, it's not called Osmocote. But either way, it acts like osmocote and has almost the same ingredients. It doesn't have any urea so it's quite safe.

Should I get 14-14-14 (NPK) 6 months for leaf greenery

a905d40e56fbb8e64bc055c02a44aa01.jpg

Or 14-9-15 (NPK) 6 months for general use?
825209ad4e5b1307fdd2a24674c4c86c.jpg

Or 10-9-19 for flowering plants?
b8e4a61a845ec9f2809f0d3112eb7a13.jpg

All of them are slow releasing pellet and coated in resin for safety.
Must the ratio be balanced or it can be any dosage as long it's not too high?

Last edited:
I think 14-14-14 but I'm not sure

I use 14-9-15, I really don't think it's a big deal, just go super easy on it. Like one pellet per nepenthes pitcher every 6 weeks, and only one pellet per pot of sarracenia seedlings etc.

I use the balanced 14-14-14 with great results!

I guess I'll use the 14-14-14 one. People have used Osmocote for Flower and Vegetable (which is 14-14-14) with great results, so I guess I'm gonna try it too.

I use 14-9-15, I really don't think it's a big deal, just go super easy on it. Like one pellet per nepenthes pitcher every 6 weeks, and only one pellet per pot of sarracenia seedlings etc.

How much would you recommend for an adult size of Nepenthes? Is there a dosage for the number of pellet to put?

Last edited:
Like I said. I use osmocote on Neps pretty regurlarly, I'd just do one pellet at a time. If the pitcher is 5-6" (~12.5cm-15.25cm) or larger you could add 2; but the fertilizer pellets can kill off pitchers if used too judiciously, so start small and work your way up to what achieves the best results for you.

You place the full pellet directly into the pitcher? Does this work for cephs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You place the full pellet directly into the pitcher? Does this work for cephs?

I placed it two days ago, 14-14-14 pellet. Now it's growing faster than ever. I dropped one pellet into the pitcher and filled the pitcher with a little bit of water.

Do not cut the pellet into the half. The pellet has a resin protection, and is made such that it will release the nutrients bit by bit. If you only cut it up into half, the pellet will dump all the nutrients right away since there is no resin to control the nutrients flow, therefore killing the pitcher.

As for ceph, I've no idea. I guess you just gonna search around or wait for others to comment.

Last edited:
I put a pellet in the soil with cephs, and yes directly into the nep pitcher, but don't overdo it. It's pretty concentrated stuff.

Awesome thanks, you two. [emoji5]

I may be wrong, but typically with any sort of prolonged release pellets, take care about not acutally breaking the pellet. The rate of release is generally dependent/standardized with intact pellets. The increased surface area of a broken pellet can totally change the release kinetics and suddenly you may be overfertilizing your plant.

Is there a size/age limit of nepenthes that can take these?

I have a couple neps that I would love to start feeding but Im not sure if theyre large enough yet.

I would start fertilizing at 3~4 inch tall pitchers. I'm experimenting with a method I discovered at ( can't say where). I add an absurd amount of osmocote to a single pitcher, killing it. The pitcher absorbs as much nutrients as it can. Sacrifice for the greater good i guess.

I used to use these but recently have been showing great results with maxsea, as many others have....

Back