Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grafting Nepenthes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    I seem to recall a discussion not long ago where an issue precluding successful grafting of Nepenthes was brought up. I stand corrected.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katya_dog1 View Post
    I graft my own tomato plants; and regardless of what the haters say, the weak heirlooms DO do better on a hybrid rootstock.
    Interesting! How difficult was it to do?
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not terribly for tomatoes. I suspect doing Nepenthes would be substantially more difficult. The key things are: 100% humidity, darkness, warmth, with a bit of airflow. The graft union CANNOT get dry under any circumstances; it must be kept in high humidity at all times until the plant has put out new growth. But don't think you can just wrap a wet paper towel around the union and cover it with plastic wrap, if you do that roots will grow and it won't work. Hence the airflow statement. The union has to fuse.

Failure to keep the union humid until new growth has been put out will result in immediate death. But if you keep the union wrapped (no peeking!) for 10 days or so and then acclimate the plant to plant-out conditions, you're golden.

It is easier than it sounds, but expect to lose several plants the first time around. Once you have a little experience, you can pretty much get 90% success every time.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is very interesting especially xcplants thread on proaboards. the growth increase is phenomenal! from 1" to a foot on the next leaf is insane! makes me wanna do some Villosa on a huge hybrid just to see the findings.
    Last edited by vdub804; 11-18-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    Experience is a great teacher, but she sure does cost a lot!!! --Butch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming frequency of publications are any guide, grafting Nepenthes was very popular in the late 80s through early 90s. After that period, it fell out of fashion most places. There are a few older guides to Nepenthes grafting which indicate, generally, that grafting is successful when the two plants have the same growth pattern (woody or not woody). Of course, most of those older guides were created before a lot of species were discovered and before a lot of species had entered cultivation, so any advice from them should be taken with a grain of salt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12