Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diagnosis help

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyfishb View Post
    The damage it causes to the pitchers sometimes is pretty annoying though. Do you fertilize your neps?
    Any ideas on the possible pest damage?
    Its not pest damage.

Yes, I fertilize my Nepenthes - through their roots. They're perfectly capable of absorbing nutrients through the root system, as long as you apply it judiciously; in small amounts. If you feel you must feed through the pitchers, use actual insects or dried bloodworms. And be aware that the more you put into pitchers, the shorter the lifespan of that pitcher.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I experimented briefly with Osmocote in pitchers and found all it did was cause damage without any perceivable benefit, so I terminated the experiment.
    The rest of those discolorations and leaf margin browning is something I see all the time on veitchii hybrids, and sometimes others. I believe it is normal aging, as long as it on the older foliage, and not the new.
    Since water is necessary to move nutrients through the Osmocote membrane, I've found that keeping them in constantly saturated conditions (i.e. in pitcher fluid 24/7) facilitates "dumping," or the release of months of fertilizer within a short amount of time. So despite the fact that we're using a slow-release formula, the application of the prills into pitchers renders them short-release just because of the chemistry of the membrane. Whereas with root/soil feeding, as we both do, you're actually giving the plant a more appropriate and manageable quantity of nutrient salts over a longer span of time.

Paul's method is exactly mine as well. CP roots absolutely have the capability to utilize nutrients just as well as other plants. However, you also run into the fact that the low pH has a huge impact on the nutrients you're applying.
    Last edited by theplantman; 12-11-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for your thoughts and information guys! Much appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You maybe watering them too often, every three days could be keeping them too wet, I water mine every five or six days, I used to water more regularly but they seem to prefer my drier regime
    Last edited by corky; 12-12-2015 at 03:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip, Corky. I'll try that out on a few plants and see how it goes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mist mine every M W F. The LFS sure does love it haha, oh and the springtails
    Tower//Jake
    "Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling."
    http://www.thecpforum.com <--- My site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry too much about the leaf browning on the veitchii, the leaves on mine look very similar to that. I had some trouble with cold damage and thrips a while back, and I think that was part of it. But sometimes it just seems to appear for no obvious reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12