Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone grow N. Tenax?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flora View Post
    That is all really good information. Thank you guys! I'm glad that it is in cultivation, this is a really neat looking nepenthes.
    I will definitely look into the ICPS, Benurmanii, i didn't realize that you could get seeds from them. I would really like to try growing seeds of any CP I can starting later this year, im just trying to learn more until then.
    If you were to buy seeds from a reputable source, how many Nepenthes seeds would be a good number to get plants?
    I can't speak from experience, but it seems that most people find 20-30 freshly harvested seeds to get an acceptable amount of germination.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flora View Post
    That is all really good information. Thank you guys! I'm glad that it is in cultivation, this is a really neat looking nepenthes.
    I will definitely look into the ICPS, Benurmanii, i didn't realize that you could get seeds from them. I would really like to try growing seeds of any CP I can starting later this year, im just trying to learn more until then.
    If you were to buy seeds from a reputable source, how many Nepenthes seeds would be a good number to get plants?
    Let us know when you've identified "a reputable source" LOL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Let us know when you've identified "a reputable source" LOL
    Is there even such a thing when it comes to Nepenthes seeds? I'm sure even the ICPS seed bank gets donated expired seed all the time. I've always wanted to get into growing Nepenthes, but the business seems so sketchy, and if you avoid that, pricey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    Is there even such a thing when it comes to Nepenthes seeds? I'm sure even the ICPS seed bank gets donated expired seed all the time. I've always wanted to get into growing Nepenthes, but the business seems so sketchy, and if you avoid that, pricey.
    Growing Nepenthes species from seed is tricky in that pretty much the only sources for seed are Indonesian folks who sell on fleabay, and some are better than others, but none of them is truly "reliable". You can get seed lots that don't germinate at all, and plenty of times you will get seeds that germinate and turn out to be totally mislabeled, etc, etc. If gambling is your thing, then that's fine. But you have to remember that basically you are paying these people to poach from natural populations, and since there is no regulation of these activities, there's no way to know for sure how badly these collecting practices are impacting the in situ populations. For all we know, these collectors are stripping the sites of every seed pod they can find, and we all know how that is likely to play out.

Note: Yes, I am speaking from experience, and yes - I once bought a small number of seed pods myself, but I will no longer fund these poaching activities. I've decided I can no longer view seed collection for hobby growing as a benign activity. Everyone gets to make their own choices in this matter, of course - but that's my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12