Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone grow N. Tenax?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone grow N. Tenax?

Hi everyone!
    I found a listing for N. Tenax seeds this week and i've been toying with the idea of getting some. Does anyone grow these? Are they very hard to grow? Would they be ok for a windowsill type environment? Here's the link if you want to see what im talking about:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2006366...?ref=hp_mod_rf

Thank you!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. tenax is a lowland from Australia, so a windowsill is probably not the best option. They seem to stay decently compact, so a large terrarium may be a good option.

However, considering we don't know when the seller harvested the seeds, it is not likely that just 5 seeds will provide any germination. This is the problem with buying Nepenthes seeds online.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly suggest against ordering these. This seed is at least second-hand and probably not N. tenax if it is Nepenthes seed at all.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    I would strongly suggest against ordering these. This seed is at least second-hand and probably not N. tenax if it is Nepenthes seed at all.
    Come to think of it, is there actually any N. tenax in cultivation? I remember reading about it, and I think the article I was reading mentioned that the areas where N. tenax grows are kept in secret. I suppose its possible someone could have smuggled seeds or plants out of Australia, if they found the growing sight of N. tenax.

- - - Updated - - -

Also flora, if you want to try your hand at growing lots of different CPs from seed, you should join the ICPS. It's only 30 USD per year, and you get access to the seed bank, where seed packets only cost something in the $5 range. Sometimes they will get donations of seeds from some pretty rare plants.
    Last edited by Benurmanii; 01-10-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    Come to think of it, is there actually any N. tenax in cultivation? I remember reading about it, and I think the article I was reading mentioned that the areas where N. tenax grows are kept in secret. I suppose its possible someone could have smuggled seeds or plants out of Australia, if they found the growing sight of N. tenax.

- - - Updated - - -

Also flora, if you want to try your hand at growing lots of different CPs from seed, you should join the ICPS. It's only 30 USD per year, and you get access to the seed bank, where seed packets only cost something in the $5 range. Sometimes they will get donations of seeds from some pretty rare plants.
    N. tenax is in cultivation; EP occasionally has cuttings. I'm not sure how secretive locations are kept, but from what I understand much of Cape York is national park.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I'm thinking of another species that I read about. Although it is good to know that tenax is in cultivation, I would love to try it out if I could ever get a hold of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $8 US for five seeds?!?! You've got to be joking. Absurd. The odds are you wont get a single plant out of them, and if you do, odds are it won't be N. tenax.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is all really good information. Thank you guys! I'm glad that it is in cultivation, this is a really neat looking nepenthes.
    I will definitely look into the ICPS, Benurmanii, i didn't realize that you could get seeds from them. I would really like to try growing seeds of any CP I can starting later this year, im just trying to learn more until then.
    If you were to buy seeds from a reputable source, how many Nepenthes seeds would be a good number to get plants?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast