What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do you buy your hanging planters?

The local home depot and Lowes only seem to offer plants in hanging pots but don't sell them by themselves. I'm just curious where you guys get your hanging pots for your nepenthes. thank you

Last edited:
Curious about the same question

Some local nurseries sell them, or you can order them online from Amazon, or a grower's supply store. For me personally I make my own hanging baskets and it is a lot easier than you might think. Most of my nepenthes are too small for the large hanging baskets you might find at lowes. I take the pot they're currently in, poke 4 holes around it, take a long strand of metal wire (they sell a floral wire on Amazon that I like to use.) fashion yourself a hook out of it and you're all set. I'll try to find a link of the video where I found this idea. Much cheaper and you can customize it to your hearts desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanging baskets for orchids made of teak are available relatively inexpensively, and making your own from cedar is easy and even cheaper.

Some local nurseries sell them, or you can order them online from Amazon, or a grower's supply store. For me personally I make my own hanging baskets and it is a lot easier than you might think. Most of my nepenthes are too small for the large hanging baskets you might find at lowes. I take the pot they're currently in, poke 4 holes around it, take a long strand of metal wire (they sell a floral wire on Amazon that I like to use.) fashion yourself a hook out of it and you're all set. I'll try to find a link of the video where I found this idea. Much cheaper and you can customize it to your hearts desire.

Exactly what I do. Take a standard plastic 6" pot, one of these , poke 3 holes with a screwdriver whose sole purpose in life is to create hanging baskets, and voila. Easy to repot or upsize the plant (just detach the hanger), extremely affordable, stable with weight. I'd never be able to do the Nepenthes or orchid collections without this method of cost reduction. Teak baskets are lovely, but if you've ever tried to repot an orchid in one.... try it sometime! Not to mention you'll be doing it without the arm and leg you spent on buying the baskets in the first place. Not a big hit for a few plants, but spending a dollar or more per basket vs 15 cents of plastic.... not practical with a large collection.

Last edited:
Exactly what I do. Take a standard plastic 6" pot, one of these , poke 3 holes with a screwdriver whose sole purpose in life is to create hanging baskets, and voila. Easy to repot or upsize the plant (just detach the hanger), extremely affordable, stable with weight. I'd never be able to do the Nepenthes or orchid collections without this method of cost reduction. Teak baskets are lovely, but if you've ever tried to repot an orchid in one.... try it sometime! Not to mention you'll be doing it without the arm and leg you spent on buying the baskets in the first place. Not a big hit for a few plants, but spending a dollar or more per basket vs 15 cents of plastic.... not practical with a large collection.

I was speaking strictly from a hobby's standpoint, but I can see where the cost would add up in a collection the size of the one you maintain Kevin. I haven't had the pleasure of repotting a basketed orchid yet, but depending upon the orchid I'm sure the experience would range from tedious through mind numbing to rage inducing.

I use the radagast/plantman method. I have 14 and 16 gauge wire from the hardware store. I cut off a 6 inch piece, heat it with a lighter and poke 3-4 holes near the rim of the pot. Then I cut 3-4 wires to the size i need and hook them into the holes I have just melted in, and twist/bend them together at the top.

I was speaking strictly from a hobby's standpoint, but I can see where the cost would add up in a collection the size of the one you maintain Kevin. I haven't had the pleasure of repotting a basketed orchid yet, but depending upon the orchid I'm sure the experience would range from tedious through mind numbing to rage inducing.

And sadness, after you've ripped the delightful little thing apart and either killed it or stopped it from blooming for a year

Last edited:
I have some nice ones from ebay that came from China. Bowl-shaped and different colors. They have a small reservoir with a hole in the side, This is great for me in the summer so my plants don't dry out. So far after a year the chains have not rusted. They were super cheap, too. My wife likes them because they make the front porch prettier. Happy wife, happy life, Haha!

I also use some line to make a net-type pot holder. I found one on sale and bought it, and now I make my own with 600lb. test kite line and a fishing swivel. So much easier and you can make custom sizes!

I have some nice ones from ebay that came from China. Bowl-shaped and different colors. They have a small reservoir with a hole in the side, This is great for me in the summer so my plants don't dry out. So far after a year the chains have not rusted. They were super cheap, too. My wife likes them because they make the front porch prettier. Happy wife, happy life, Haha!

I also use some line to make a net-type pot holder. I found one on sale and bought it, and now I make my own with 600lb. test kite line and a fishing swivel. So much easier and you can make custom sizes!

Could you provide a link to those Chinese planters? They sound like something I'd be interested in.

Yeah I'd be interested in looking at them as well.

Back