Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: N. sanguinae brown leaves.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    It looks like potential cold water damage.
    Seconded. I gave these exact same spots to a few unfortunate "trial" neps that proved I couldn't keep neps in my 40f-minimum hobby greenhouse. They will appear under 50f IME.

Gotta get above 50f, and also avoid water colder than that hitting the leaves. Even without wetting the leaves my neps became spotted.
    Last edited by theplantman; 01-25-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, 50F is well outside the optimal temperature range for N. sanguinea. Can you do anything to raise daytime temps to 75F at least?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, 50F is well outside the optimal temperature range for N. sanguinea. Can you do anything to raise daytime temps to 75F at least?
    Not without the VFTs waking up again. I could put a heat pad in there, but some that's a whole other can of worms. From my two years of growing it though, as long as the cold water doesn't land on it like it did this time the plant doesn't have an issue with the lower temperature for a couple of months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I bother to mention that growing Dionaea and Nepenthes in the same tank is inviting trouble? No. Probably not.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you not simply take the VFTs out of the tank and then find a way to provide heat inside the tank for the Nepenthes? Even laying a simple fluorescent light fixture across the tank will help boost temps by a few degrees (depending on the airflow in the tank).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he was saying that he puts his vfts in that room during winter for the express purpose that it gets quite cool. They're not actually in the terrarium with the neps. When you said give the neps warmer temps, probably the first thing that came to mind was heating the room, rather than just the Terrarium. You know they sell these electronically heated basking rocks for reptiles in pretty much any major pet store chain. Get one of those and put it along one of the walls of the terrarium, plug it in and voila. You've got a decent heat source! One, especially, that's safe to be used outside of water, unlike most aquarium heaters I've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I bother to mention that growing Dionaea and Nepenthes in the same tank is inviting trouble? No. Probably not.
    I never said I was growing Dionaea and Nepenthes in the same tank. I'm growing Nepenthes and tropical Drosera in the same tank, and Dionaea, Sarracenia, Utricularia, Habaneria, Colopogonand two other species of Drosera in the same room several feet away away.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I think he was saying that he puts his vfts in that room during winter for the express purpose that it gets quite cool. They're not actually in the terrarium with the neps. When you said give the neps warmer temps, probably the first thing that came to mind was heating the room, rather than just the Terrarium. You know they sell these electronically heated basking rocks for reptiles in pretty much any major pet store chain. Get one of those and put it along one of the walls of the terrarium, plug it in and voila. You've got a decent heat source! One, especially, that's safe to be used outside of water, unlike most aquarium heaters I've seen.
    Exactly this. The room isn't cold because of the VFTs, the VFTs are in the room because it's cold. The terrarium is on the warmer side closer to the rest of the house, and the VFTs are on the floor near a window where it's colder. Just that the heating vent is closer to that side, so if I open it the VFTs will get woken up early. I was thinking of putting a reptile rock in, but the terrarium bottom is often wet to keep the humidity up and also because Nepenthes pots drain to the floor so I'd need one that works in water and dry. The lights they're under actually provide a decent amount of heat similar to how it can feel warm on a twenty degree day as long as you're in the sun, and I think that's what keeps them going. I'll look for heat rocks though.
    Last edited by Cruzzfish; 01-26-2016 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also gonna throw out there that I feel like cold media/roots and root hair death may be what leads to the cold spots on the leaves. Don't know how feasible this is, but I do it for African Violets: it would help if you had the option to use warm tap water to water your plants. Obviously it will cool to your GH temp over time, but you won't get the cold water shock that can really harm roots.

As far as the VFTs are concerned, if they awaken and you can reliably keep temps above freezing, nothing bad will happen to them. No reason to sweat bumping the overall temperature. The VFTs in the UGA collection are getting 65-75F nights consistently throughout the winter because they're grouped in with all the lowland tropicals like Neps and orchids. They emerge earlier, but there's no downside to this at all. If anything, by elongating their growing season I find they have better offsetting and seed set.
    Last edited by theplantman; 01-26-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast