What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria germination time?

Hi guys.
N. ampullaria is one of my favorites plants but sadly, I can't get it to germinate. I've bought seeds from different sellers on ebay with no luck.
I was wondering, what's the normal germination time for ampullaria?
For example:
I recieved rafflesiana and ampullaria seeds the 3 of january and planted them right away. rafflesiana started sprouting today but the amp seeds are still there.
Of course not a month has passed since I planted them. But in the past I had seeds 2 months with no signs of growth....

Any advice?

It can take months for Nepenthes seeds to sprout. Keep in mind that Nepenthes seeds from ebay will rarely ever give you germination, if they even are Nepenthes seeds that you receive.

It can take months for Nepenthes seeds to sprout. Keep in mind that Nepenthes seeds from ebay will rarely ever give you germination, if they even are Nepenthes seeds that you receive.

I only buy from respected sellers (no wild collected) from which I've already got viable seeds in the past.

Of course not a month has passed since I planted them. But in the past I had seeds 2 months with no signs of growth....

You'll be waiting regardless of their viability, best of luck to you. :p

I sowed seed of N. fusca in early December of 2014 - fresh seed collected by, and given to me by a friend. They began germinating in early December 2015.

Holy mother of...............
1 year? how did you manage to wait and avoid throwing the seeds into garbage?

Holy mother of...............
1 year? how did you manage to wait and avoid throwing the seeds into garbage?

All seed pots get 18 months before I consider them trash-worthy.

Hmm maybe I should try to treat my D. burmannii seeds with that same respect :lol:

I had some D. burmanii seeds take 6 months but I think it was an environmental trigger, rather than them just taking a long time. If you're having trouble with them, try dropping the temperature 10 degrees and see if that helps.

Back