Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spraying Nepenthes

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spraying Nepenthes

Hello, I have nepenthes alata that I have been spraying every day with distilled water. Is this beneficial? Would it be better to just add live spagnum to the pot? What about a combination of the two? Would this also benefit a maxima? Which I plan on getting soon.
    Last edited by curtisconners; 02-09-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've gathered, the water evaporates so quickly that it only raises relative humidity for a very short amount of time. If you are looking to increase humidity overall I would go another route.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live spagnum it is then.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only benefits I would anticipate from misting a plant with water are:
    --Cuts down on mites
    --Cools the plant's leaves down as the mist evaporates (only in high-heat situations, like the top of a greenhouse)

Drawbacks
    --Facilitation of diseases, especially foliar

As mentioned, the impact on humidity is negligible. When I want to get the greenhouses more humid, wetting the floor is much better than wetting the plants.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would adding live spagnum moss to the pot help with humidity? I don't have a greenhouse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly mist my plants; and, all things being equal, have found the practice beneficial . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    Would adding live spagnum moss to the pot help with humidity? I don't have a greenhouse.
    Yes - but..... if humidity is a problem already (I assume thats what your goal is: to increase humidity in a dry-air indoor space) then you are not going to keep Sphagnum alive for long without misting it every five minutes. Sphagnum is notoriously difficult to maintain inside the dry air environment of a living space. Even in my full sized greenhouse with air and humidity controlled within very precise parameters, I have to wet the live Sphagnum at least once a day to keep it from drying excessively. Its more work by far to maintain living Sphagnum (Unless you build non-draining, saturated bog containers for it) than it is to maintain the Nepenthes in my greenhouse. FAR more work!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Yes - but..... if humidity is a problem already (I assume thats what your goal is: to increase humidity in a dry-air indoor space) then you are not going to keep Sphagnum alive for long without misting it every five minutes. Sphagnum is notoriously difficult to maintain inside the dry air environment of a living space. Even in my full sized greenhouse with air and humidity controlled within very precise parameters, I have to wet the live Sphagnum at least once a day to keep it from drying excessively. Its more work by far to maintain living Sphagnum (Unless you build non-draining, saturated bog containers for it) than it is to maintain the Nepenthes in my greenhouse. FAR more work!
    Second that opinion. I gave up a looooooong time ago on having luscious Sphagnum. Since Paul has it in spades, I just look at his photos to get my Sphag fix. It really makes you appreciate how pristine the habitats must be in the wild.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast