Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neps seeds/ebay

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my rambelings from the last time I imported anything, it may or may not be helpful. I received everything I ordered without issue, even with some sellers shipping incorrectly.

USDA Permit Madness

In my opinion, common seeds like Nep maxima variations are probably not poached and safe, but anything rare or hard to grow is very likely poached and may be a natural hybrid/variation not listed on the description. You can generally ask a few questions to the seller and find the bad ones real fast. Most growers have atleast some knowledge of when the plant was cross and what male/female they used. Things like "Harvesting time February 21,2016", "There are tons of possibilities of growing nepenthes from wild seeds.they may germinate into an turn out to be true species or maybe becoming natural hybrids between another species around the habitat.", and "You never know what kind of species that grow beside the hills or maybe in the next cliffs. i only make some assumptions that the mother plants that we take the seedpods from are the species that i mention for sale right now." are clearly wild collected either legally or illegally it would depend on the species and country of origin.

Keep in mind that just because you get all the proper paperwork and all your ducks in a row, the seller can still just put them in the mail (usually marked as hobby supplies) and ignore US laws. After all they won't get into any trouble and it is more work for them to follow our laws.

The down side to this is that you "could" still be held responsible for improperly importing whatever, so make sure and keep your paper trail to blame the other guy

Baby Neps are fun, but starting with some of the giveaway crosses might be a better option. I've had good germination with the two TF crosses I've received.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the eBay seeds are fake. Albermarelsounds and ******************* have real, fresh seeds. Most of the seeds are wild collected. But from what I've heard they only harvest a couple of pods. Out of dozens per plant. Taking some seed from the wild really doesn't impact the population. Because it takes thousands of seeds in nature to get a Nepenthes to sexual maturity. Obviously captive bred would be better though. It seems the offspring would be more vigorous, as the less vigorous plants in cultivation would have been weeded out.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngantnier View Post
    Most of the eBay seeds are fake. Albermarelsounds and ******************* have real, fresh seeds. Most of the seeds are wild collected. But from what I've heard they only harvest a couple of pods. Out of dozens per plant. Taking some seed from the wild really doesn't impact the population. Because it takes thousands of seeds in nature to get a Nepenthes to sexual maturity. Obviously captive bred would be better though. It seems the offspring would be more vigorous, as the less vigorous plants in cultivation would have been weeded out.
    LOL nah. Ive seen ALOT of photos with aber holding an entire pod stalk.
    These guys are not sustainable/conservative. They dont care and theyre all reckless.

You should only buy poached seed if you are 101% serious about the cultivation of
    said seeds. From seedling, to flowering, to re-distribution.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    You should only buy poached seed if you are 101% serious about the cultivation of
    said seeds. From seedling, to flowering, to re-distribution.
    101% agree with this. It is a lot more ethical to spend more money on a plant to see if you can grow it over spending very little on poached seeds and saying "Oh well" if they fail.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    101% agree with this. It is a lot more ethical to spend more money on a plant to see if you can grow it over spending very little on poached seeds and saying "Oh well" if they fail.
    Exactly.

In my eyes, If you buy poached seed, you have an obligation to uphold.
    These plants were taken from the wild (their perfect environment) only
    for a mere 7.34. Species and habitat loss is not worth seven dollars a pod.

However.. Since these seeds were already doomed by poacher in the first place,
    does that mean the experienced should be buying them and growing them to make sure theyre
    falling into the RIGHT hands?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does that mean the experienced should be buying them and growing them to make sure theyre
    This is very true, and it seems like there isn't an easy right answer to this problem. Perhaps an experienced grower may purchase them but always leave a negative review to deter new growers? Maybe it will slow their business while not wasting the seeds.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly.

In my eyes, If you buy poached seed, you have an obligation to uphold.
    These plants were taken from the wild (their perfect environment) only
    for a mere 7.34. Species and habitat loss is not worth seven dollars a pod.

By buying the seeds people are rewarding the poachers. Chances are good that the pods will have most if not all of their content destroyed by long delays between picking and sowing, and by the post office rollers if sent in a flat envelope.
    I personally feel that it is better for some pods to end up "wasted" and the poachers have no market, therefore no incentive to do further poaching.
    Saying that "they are already picked" to me is just a justification for buying them.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    This is very true, and it seems like there isn't an easy right answer to this problem. Perhaps an experienced grower may purchase them but always leave a negative review to deter new growers? Maybe it will slow their business while not wasting the seeds.
    Negative reviews dont stop people from buying on ebay. (Im one of them.)
    Besides, Its just one bad review, and every vendor has a handful.
    Its discouragement, but not everybody reads reviews either.

Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    By buying the seeds people are rewarding the poachers. Chances are good that the pods will have most if not all of their content destroyed by long delays between picking and sowing, and by the post office rollers if sent in a flat envelope.
    I personally feel that it is better for some pods to end up "wasted" and the poachers have no market, therefore no incentive to do further poaching.
    Saying that "they are already picked" to me is just a justification for buying them.
    Ive bought seeds before when I didnt know any better. A month or two of shipping, and I still got over 50%
    germination. It depends on how fresh, and who you bought from.

The sad part is, I watch ebay very often. MAny times Have I seen various
    pods for sale, and nobody will buy a perticular batch. After 6 months, that vendor
    throws out the ancient stock, then re-fills with new pods regardless if people are
    buying or not. Its an endless greedy cycle, and they dont stop. No matter if business
    is poor or thriving. Its easy for them, so they continue.

and the "already picked" part - You CAN say its a justification for buying them or not,
    but to me, it comes down to this -- Wild/endangered seed is in jeopardy and it has a chance to go to somebody who knows
    what theyre doing.

Its pretty much good as dead if nobody does right with them, or anything with them for that matter.
    I absolutely hate the thought of supporting these people, but I feel that there is a slight
    obligation to make sure that these seeds are being preserved and falling into the right hands,
    other than having them go to the novice growers who say "oh well" if they kick the bucket.

Not buying is a good way to cut SOME profit from them, but there will always be
    someone out there buying a pod or two, and thats all it takes to make them nuke the local seed population.
    In the end, seeds are wasted that could have been saved if a seedling program or dedicated grower made the choice to save a few.

I believe it can be justified if good growers buy these seeds for rehabilitation and development, however
    there is also a multitude of choices, options, ethics and obligations that go along with this issue.

There is no correct answer for this problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast