User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxsea - is it really that good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxsea - is it really that good?

I've been doing a lot of reading about the benefits of Maxsea, and It sounds like people swear by the stuff - with results ranging from bringing back plants from the dead to turning plants into monsters.

But here in the great white north, it's a bit tricky to get hold of the stuff. I'm currently feeding my neps with 1/4 strength Shultz Orchid food, but I'm a sucker for anything that will give my plants the edge.

My question is, has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in using Maxsea upon switching from another fertilization method?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how many people have done comparisons between Maxsea and other fertilizers. When you buy a container of the stuff, it's basically a lifetime supply so if it works, why try anything else? I have read some concern about it containing urea which orchid fertilizers tend not to. I have also read about someone who raised a Sarracenia from seed to producing a flower bud in 14 months using I believe a mixture of humic acid and Maxsea.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schultz is
    20-20-15
    Total Nitrogen (N)...... 20.00%
    3.80% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    4.20% Nitrate Nitrogen
    12.00% Urea Nitrogen

While Maxsea comes in 16-16-16, 14-18-14, or 3-20-20
    The main difference is that the nitrogen in Maxsea is not derived from urea. Epiphyte plants are not able to utilize urea nitrogen. Urea based nitrogen fertilizer is, in my experience, usually less expensive to purchase. Maxsea is not the only one out there but many consider it to be the best. FWIW, I don't use any schultz products on my orchids.
    Last edited by chibae; 03-12-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experimented with MaxSea, some time ago, for about a year, after I had heard of some growers' phenomenal successes; though, in my experience, it only encouraged mats of algal growth -- and I found myself repotting a number of plants, as a direct result. A few other growers have also experienced it . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 03-12-2016 at 11:39 AM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're fertilizing the soil, I'd be surprised if there was any fertilizer that didn't promote algae growth. I just started using Maxsea and have been adding it to Heliamphora and small Nepenthes pitchers where it seems to be getting the job done. I also use it as a foliar feed on Pinguicula and Roridula and will be adding it to Sarracenia seedling pitchers once my seeds sprout.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dyna-Gro 'Orchid-Pro' 8 oz. and have had no issues whether I add to media for neps or foliar feed for any of my cps. I did have a problem with rapid pitcher die off when I put a dilute amount in the pitcher itself one time. I also use it for my orchids of course.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also experienced extreme algae growth when I used Maxsea to fertilize Nepenthes media...enough to break down the lfs and turn it into anaerobic sludge. However, I still use it with a pipette to feed Sarracenia pitchers and Pinguicula leaves.

For Nepenthes / Cephalotus I now use osmocote pellets dropped into the pitchers, 1 pellet per pitcher. (I've heard of people putting in 3-4 depending on size, but I haven't tried that yet)

I also use osmocote in my Sarracenia seedling media, which does not seem to promote the same algal growth I saw with maxsea.

Kinda rambling a bit. Point is, maxsea is good stuff, and I would trust it with my plants more than another off-the-shelf fertilizer. It also contains micro-nutrients and trace elements that many fertilizers do not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Maxsea a month ago on my outdoor container bog. I has produced phenomenal results. Everything that has come out of dormancy has produced either 4 or 5 pitchers at a time or thrown a couple flowers at fast speeds. my Sarr. Purp. has gone bonkers. I haven't had an algae issue however, but that might be because I keep the plants outside and i have a solar pump recirculating the water to the plants.
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast