Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with N. Lady Luck, my first Nepenthes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't know how I'd drop the temp if it requires it. If I moved it outside in the summer, temps average around 95 high and 75 low. That would be your 20deg difference. I'm sure it would be cooler in the shade.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Lady Luck, it'll be fine, I wouldn't even bother acclimating it to your house's humidity it would be too much of a hassle. It will adapt if you leave it and provide sufficient lighting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as said above you won't have any trouble growing it in the house! the difference in temperature between night and day will surely be enough for this hybrid.
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    Not necessarily, if I recall correctly, lowlands don't need a temp drop at night and certainly not one down to the 60's. I just googled nepenthes "lady luck" and it looks like an ampullaria hybrid, which is a lowlander.
    Lowlanders do need a temperature drop, here's a reference chart:
    Nepenthes Altitudinal Distribution and Temperature | Ultra Lowland, Lowland, Intermediate, Highland, Ultra Highland

As I said before, it won't need as *much* of a temperature drop, but it still needs one, and more than the 5 F it's been getting in Dalton's house. Note in particular the night temperatures for N. ampullaria and N. ventricosa (the other half of N. 'Lady Luck') and where my recommendation of 65 F comes in. I'm not going to say that the plant will die if it doesn't go down to the mid-60s (I have similar plants that have survived worse), but as per my previous post that's what I'd be initially aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    I really don't know how I'd drop the temp if it requires it. If I moved it outside in the summer, temps average around 95 high and 75 low. That would be your 20deg difference. I'm sure it would be cooler in the shade.
    If I were you I'd try that. The plant might take a bit to acclimatise, but in my experience a good temperature drop gives you a bit of leeway in the day/night temps. I've got several plants including a N. ventricosa x burkei that's been through summers like yours. For outdoors Neps I use LFS as the media with a top dressing of orchid bark to help keep the LFS moist, a white pot also helps to keep the roots cool if you're getting a lot of sunlight. Credit where it's due, that's all on on Red Lowii's recommendation and it's worked great so far. I'd say start off in the shade or partial sun and see how it responds.

Out of curiosity, do you have air conditioning on in your house? Given your outside temp/humidity your inside numbers look very stable (and the humidity looks very low).

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I didn't recall correctly. Good to know though if I ever get into some of the more difficult lowlands.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did have the AC on. It started getting pretty warm here for a while and there are members of my family that like to sleep on blocks of ice. They seriously asked me once why I was closing the windows downstairs when it was going to get down near the 40's. They've also got allergies, so there isn't a lot of leaving the doors and windows open, even when it's nice. I have a table on the front porch I may try to put it on. It get's a touch of direct sunlight for an hour or so, but it fairly bright shade the rest of the time. I'll have to wait a while, though, because we're having another temperature drop over the next week. It's going from high 70's to mid 80's during the day and in the 60's at night to 60's during the day and low 40's to high 30's at night. Once the temp stabilizes at warmer temps, I'll move it out to that table.

As it is right now, I've started opening the bag to drop the humidity a little at a time. I've gotten it from 99% last night to 93% this morning. I'll lower it gradually. I hate to, though, because those little leaflets that weren't doing anything are growing pretty hard since I upped the humidity. Still no pitchers forming on the two other new leaves under them, though. Just little curly tips. I don't know if the pitchers take a while or if the tips were damaged when I dropped the humidity after they grew. We'll see I guess.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with N. Lady Luck, my first Nepenthes

I grow this one outside in south Florida. I only bother taking it in of it gets below 50 at night. It gets an hour or two of sun in the morning, but is otherwise in full shade. I've had success with it in about 4 hours of sun, but it doesn't need it. Also, avoid midday sun - it has ampullaria in it, as said above - so I find it can be sensitive when the sun gets really hot. Also, I keep it wet - water daily, occasionally skipping a day. Once you hit full summer, your conditions outside should be very similar to those I've been managing in.
    Hope something in there is helpful for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FLTropical; 03-19-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! Regarding the color change in the leaves: My neps' leaves and pitchers turn reddish/brownish under the artificial lighting in my growtent, and those bulbs are 6500K, too. So, I'm not sure I'd worry too much about that unless the plant's health starts to decline. As for the way your leaves grow sometimes, it sounds like it could be a humidity issue, perhaps, but I wonder how often you water, and just how dry you are letting the plant get? I ask because I had a mishap recently where I thought I had been watering my ampullaria quite enough (about as much and as often as I had been watering my hookeriana and my veitchii pink), but it was looking awfully dry, and it made these two weird, deformed tiny leaves. Humidity in my grow tent ranges from 50%-80%/isn't super stable, but that had never been a problem before, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the problem. So, instinctively, I upped the amount and frequency of watering that particular plant a little bit, and immediately it put out a regular leaf and developing pitcher. My advice is to try watering it a bit more and see if it perks up.
    As a particularly hardy lowlander, it definitely won't need to get down into the 60s at night. The only other thing I can think of could be a potential disagreement with a fertilizer, if you have been using one. But, I honestly think watering might be the more likely culprit.
    Last edited by squidfengshui; 03-21-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast