Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with N. Lady Luck, my first Nepenthes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FLTropical, I might have a good place that's shaded all day, except during the early morning. We're currently having a little late winter weather. It got down near freezing last night and I was late to work this morning defrosting my truck windows. That'll quite soon and it'll get blazing hot till the end of October.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    squidfenshui, I haven't been watering too frequently as of late, because I put it inside a bag under my grow light. The humidity when the bag was closed, was at 99% and once again, the leaflets were growing quickly. I put a cheap meter in the bag to measure temp and humidity. I've slowly opened the mouth of the bag and the humidity has dropped to around 70%. Once again, the leaf growth has slowed way down. I watered it a little over a week ago and checked the top of the moss with my finger about an hour ago and it's still wet. I try to let it dry out a little, but not like you'd think of with a potted plant. When I say I let it dry out, I mean slightly damp to my finger as opposed to soaking.

That's great to hear about your leaves having that color as well. I was worried it was a sickly leaf. I really can't wait till the temps get warm and stay there so I can get this thing outside and see how it does in the high humidity an warm temps that vary roughly 20deg between day and night. I'm hoping it takes off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hunch it'll do great outside, just make sure to give it a bit of shade and you'll be good to go. My lowlanders like it just fine outside in our warm humid summers, so I have faith your plant will do great.
    Anyway, I still might try watering it more, bag open or off to see what happens. Out of curiosity, what is your ambient humidity outside the bag?
    Last edited by squidfengshui; 03-21-2016 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The meter says the humidity outside the bag is 40-48%, however, I did see it dip in the high 30's once. I only let it run for 24hrs and I think it takes 36 to get a more accurate range. I've been slowly opening the mouth of the bag over the past 3 days and I've got it hovering around 70%. The new leaves have slowed down. I'm reluctant to take it down further till I see growth on them. I still don't see any sign that the two new leaves under them are trying to grow pitchers yet. I don't know if they take more time or if the low humidity damaged the tips and they won't grow pitchers now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to keep in mind is that these plants grow very slowly. Some of them can live for decades, and grow on a scale measured in that time. My Lady Luck produces a new leaf every week or two, at most. This time of year it's more like one a month, or no growth at all until it warms up in spring.

I've never heard of a nep where the growth was visible every day, on a day to day basis - maybe the final stages of a leaf opening up, but that's about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that it shows growth every day. We're looking at two plants in one pot and two leaves on those plants since I got it several months ago. It's just that it'll start putting out a leaf and if the humidity is low it won't move. When I up the humidity, it starts growing and standing up off the leaf below it. I reduce the humidity and it stops showing as much activity. It's like playing red light, green light. I suppose I could be playing with the humidity and it just seems like it's affecting it. I don't know.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to give the plant time to adjust. You're not doing it any favors by raising and lowering the humidity repeatedly. If you find the plant stalling, slow down the adjustment rather than reversing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^This, give it time to adjust. Also, how will it ever adjust if you keep changing things back to its original conditions?

When I receive new plants I end up needing anywhere from 1 to 4 months for them to acclimatise, and in that time I might see up to four leaves that are smaller or don't end up pitchering at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast