Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help with diagnosis and treatment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help with diagnosis and treatment

Hello TF'ers,

I'm having an issue with two of my nepenthes. One is a hybrid of N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x burkei and the other is a nice seed grown N. burbidgeae.

The hybrid nep has been going down hill for the last month or so, and at first I thought perhaps I over fertilized it because I was getting some stunting, well now it appears that is not the case as I have now noticed these little white spots all over the pitchers, tendrils and growth tip. The hybrid looks like its probably a lost cause, but I really like like to save the burbidgeae, its one of my favs. Luckily its no where near as bad as the hybrid is and is still growing albeit slower and with less size.

I can't figure out if its some kind of fungal body I'm seeing or if its a remnant of some kind of pest insect. Unfortunately I don't have any means to take better photos as my camera is out of commission so will have to make due with these crummy cell phone telephone pics.

Here is a picture of the hybrid:

Here is a picture of a leaf I excised from the N. burbidgeae :

The environmental parameters are as follows.

Day time temp: 76.5-78.5
    Night time temp: 57.5-60.5
    Day time humidity: 75%-80%
    Night time humidity: 85%-95%

Primary humidity using an ultrasonic fogger with secondary humidification consisting of an over head MistKing setup.

14 hour photoperiod consisting of 1400 watts of LEDs and 4 x48" T5HO 6500K fluorescents.

I'd very much appreciate any help, if theres any more data I left out that would be helpful in determining a diagnosis, let me know.

Thank you,
    Jess
    Last edited by Flip_Side_the_Pint; 03-25-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whitefly?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a very severe mealybug infestation to me. Make sure you isolate the plants from the rest of your collection, then get some insecticide on those plants ASAP and you may be able to save them. You should be able to use neem oil or pyrethrin and probably others as well though I am not familiar with many insecticides.

Edit: If it's whitefly, shaking the plant should result in some of them flying around.
    Last edited by nimbulan; 03-25-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your plants are isolated and beneficial insects (bees) cannot access them then:-
    1. Spray asap with an insecticide containing Thiacloprid. Follow the instructions supplied with the product. Do not use on or near flowering plants if bees have access
    2. Buy a decent magnifying glass so you know what you're looking at in future
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Hibiscus Snow Scale. Very difficult to control. Common source of infestation unfortunately appears to be one US nursery in Hawaii.

Nep pest problem
    Fudgecicles! Mealybugs! :(
    Pesten 2013 - what are these?
    need a pest ID
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ic-insecticide
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys for the speedy replies. I know its not whitefly, I've felt with that before on my lemon trees.

All my plants are grown in a large chamber, because of this they're all rather close to one another. I've taken out the hybrid and its no longer in the chamber, since I'm not confident I can save it. However the N. burbidgeae is still in the chamber. I don't really have a place to isolate the infected plants, I can work on making something but its going to take me a few days, I'll start on it today.

Considering all my plants are grown close together in an enclosed area would it be a good idea to prophylactically treat all the plants? I have a lot of expensive rare plants in there, some I'm not confident I'd be able to find and replace if I lost them.

Reading some of those threads, I'm really nervous about this whole situation.

Theres lots of ideas on treatment, does anyone with experience in treating this have a specific treatment regimen?

FWIW, the plant this all started from came from a vendor in california.

EDIT: after reviewing my records it wasn't a vender in cali that the plant came from it was a vender in NY. Possibly by way of Hawaii....
    Last edited by Flip_Side_the_Pint; 03-26-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Searching the Web on "hibiscus snow scale control" isn't very encouraging. A few Hibiscus sites say to use a horticultural oil as being the most effective. Oils and CPs generally do not mix but if the plant is a write off perhaps you might want to risk it. Home brews of alcohol, soap and water wipe downs between insecticide treatments may help. One formula I had (though I don't remember the proportions) was something like 1 part 409 cleaner, 1 part rubbing alcohol, 4 parts water. I've used this on Sarracenia without adverse effects.

You might even try a hot water spray.

Spring 2013: Hot Water Treatments to Control Pests - UC Nursery and Floriculture Alliance (UCNFA) News
    Last edited by Not a Number; 03-27-2016 at 02:09 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't mess around, use a systemic. Thiacloprid and Imidacloprid are very effective and have never damaged any of my plants. You must follow the manufacturer's direction for use. I would suggest your entire collection will require treatment by now.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast