User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Highland Nepenthes grown in "Inadequate" conditions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    Harrow surely the two links provided completely contradict what you are saying , in the second link the grower says that his villosa was grown in a tank with temps rarely dropping below 18c , I would call that intermediate
    The grower is very lucky to have that particular clone, and by the way, he did mentioned "always high humidity" in the thread.
    You're always welcome to subject a Villosa in that condition though and see how long it lasts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure someone here on the forums is growing a villosa outdoors with similar temps and less humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking at the thread its clearly a very nice villosa, grown by a skilled keeper. But, I'm sure those "40C" temps are few and for short stints. Not its average growing condition? 40C thats over 100F I would not be comfortable with my truly tiny half dollar sized villosa's going that high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure the 40c is rare, I was more surprised at the high minimum temperature that the grower said rarely dropped below 18c , thats a whole lot warmer than I thought it could handle as a minimum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My collection includes a N. glabrata (BE), veitchii (BE), lingulata (EP) and several H/L x H/L hybrids, all of which have survived a Sydney summer where the greenhouse was typically around 15-20 at night and sometimes got up to 38 C in summer (evaporative cooling doesn't help much when it's over 70% humidity...). Humidity is always high though, upwards of 60%, usually 70%. The glabrata is finicky in all conditions, but didn't appear to be any worse in summer than winter. Veitchii is slow but constant. I'm pretty sure the lingulata is starting to vine, and it's definitely gotten bigger leaves over summer. That may not be a good thing, however, my concern lies in the high temps accelerating the plant's metabolism and exhausting it, so I'll withhold judgement for another year or so.

I do, however, find Exotica Plants' page on growing conditions to be quite interesting, and my (limited) experience has thus far borne out what they've been saying. I know that they've got edwardsiana and macrophylla, but I've never heard of a villosa or rajah in there. Would love to see their greenhouse conditions in person. Perhaps plants bought from them are hardier purely because nature has culled the weak ones, but I can't say how far that hardiness could extend.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya!

I've been growing this N. Lowii in somewhat inadequate conditions. While the humidity is between 60%-90%, the night temps is somewhere between 60-68 (17-19c) while day temps is somewhere between 75-82 (23-27c). It's been growing quite good up until now. It was about the size of my N. ephippiata (which I just got) when I first got it. I've had it about a year now, so it'll probably go down hill soon. But I can't see any dangerous signs yet.

Oh yeah, sorry about the bad photos. I have no camera, so I had to use my phone. Also, i didn't flip the pictures either. Sorry!

Z
    Last edited by Zahl; 05-05-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an N.villosa growing on my balcony in San Diego for the past... 5ish years or so. Low humidity, high temps for half the year (it's definitely seen 100F and 0%RH during the day before). If I remember, I'll try to snap a pic of it when I get home today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and with friends like N.inermis, N.tenuis, and N.hamata--

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast