Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Aquarium Chiller

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks for the links, I will take a look at them right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    Wow thanks for the links, I will take a look at them right now.
    You are very welcome. I love projects like this. Please update us on what you decide to do! Hopefully when you set it up this thread gets stickied.
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my plant is to hopefully buy a growtent such as this one 48"x48"x84" Mylar Hydroponics Grow Tent 4'x4'x7' 100 Reflective Non Toxic Room | eBay

A chest freezer seems like a good idea. A small one such as this one: Magic Chef 6.9 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White-HMCF7W2 - The Home Depot would fit in the tent and I could somehow figure out the tubing to get the cold air where I want it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a small grow chamber, I considered the chiller idea but it ended up being cheaper for me to just get a cheap hang on air conditioner. It keeps my nights at about 58 most of the year, but on those hot hot central califormia nights its does struggle to keep it at about 60

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a highland plant, but I've randomly tooled over ideas on how to chill a doghouse in the past. One thing that may or may not work, someone better versed than me would have to comment, would be a version of the redneck air conditioner. The basic principle is that you take a cooler with the built in cup holders and cut two of them out. You put a small, cheap fan blowing into one and you put an appropriately sized 45 degree pvc angle on the other. You turn on the fan and it blows air across the ice you fill it with an out of the 45. You can turn it whichever way you want to blow the cooler air.

It seems like if you were looking for a cheap method to cool a small space, you could do this with a computer fan, some pvc pipe, a thermostat, and a couple of containers from the dollar store. You could have a couple of pipes running from the tank to a dollar store Rubbermaid container. You'd put the Rubbermaid in the freezer to make block of ice and while one is in the system the other would be in the freezer. The thermostat would tell the pc fan to turn on and it would suck air from in the tank, vs warmer outside air, and blow it across the ice, up the other pipe, and back into the tank.

Granted this is all a little sketchy, but it seems like the idea might work. You could use ice cubes, which are cheap, instead of having a large block of ice and it would last longer if the "cooler" was more insulated, but the idea seems sound. I'm interested to hear what anyone else thinks of this. I know it's not ideal, but would it actually work without too much effort?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    I've never had a highland plant, but I've randomly tooled over ideas on how to chill a doghouse in the past. One thing that may or may not work, someone better versed than me would have to comment, would be a version of the redneck air conditioner. The basic principle is that you take a cooler with the built in cup holders and cut two of them out. You put a small, cheap fan blowing into one and you put an appropriately sized 45 degree pvc angle on the other. You turn on the fan and it blows air across the ice you fill it with an out of the 45. You can turn it whichever way you want to blow the cooler air.

It seems like if you were looking for a cheap method to cool a small space, you could do this with a computer fan, some pvc pipe, a thermostat, and a couple of containers from the dollar store. You could have a couple of pipes running from the tank to a dollar store Rubbermaid container. You'd put the Rubbermaid in the freezer to make block of ice and while one is in the system the other would be in the freezer. The thermostat would tell the pc fan to turn on and it would suck air from in the tank, vs warmer outside air, and blow it across the ice, up the other pipe, and back into the tank.

Granted this is all a little sketchy, but it seems like the idea might work. You could use ice cubes, which are cheap, instead of having a large block of ice and it would last longer if the "cooler" was more insulated, but the idea seems sound. I'm interested to hear what anyone else thinks of this. I know it's not ideal, but would it actually work without too much effort?
    @Flip_side_the_pint could you link the AC you use?

@Dalton I've seen many youtube vids on cooler like the one you mentioned but the problem is that I would have to constantly be replacing the ice, which is something I can't do very often and that I do not want to do. If my parents refuse to let me buy anything electrical this might be my only option. The idea itself isn't bad, it's just that constant refilling and emptying would be a pain in the butt :P
    Last edited by Swagalotus; 04-04-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may last longer than you think. I know people that backpacked with horses and they had coolers on the packhorses. They had one cooler for each day (it was a large group trip) and said as long as you didn't open them, the one designated for the end of the week would still be cold at the end of the week. So insulation is a part of it. Also, you wouldn't be cycling air from inside your house, but inside the tank, so it would already be cooler. Kinda like the cold air recycle setting in the car. It also wouldn't be running non-stop, but only when the temp rose. I think it would last a good while. It also doesn't have to be ice. It would work as cold water for a good while.

If you're worried about changing it out, I don't think it'd be a big thing. If you wanted to get a little fancier you could put a small drain plug of some sort that you could just pull out when you wanted to drain and put a mop bucket under it. It could be a simple as using a piece of aquarium hose as a siphon and suck-starting it (since the water will be clean) or as complex as drilling a hole, siliconing in a piece of same said aquarium air hose, and putting a small ball valve on it. I figure you can make a system like this very cheaply and fairly maintenance free. The most expensive items would be the pc fan and thermostat.

A bigger cooler would need to be changed less often. You'd gain more time with more insulation. Heck, if you have the room, just set the tank on top of a full sized cooler. It'll have the drain plug and insulation built in. You'll just have to lift the tank off to add more ice or modify it to make it easier.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're planning on investing in a grow tent, you might as well cool the whole room and use an air conditioner. If you do this make sure to get one with a dual-hose function. This will keep the tent around 60 degrees. Keep in mind this option will generate a lot of heat outside the room because of the hot air being pushed out of the air conditioner.

The ice idea will work if you fill it up every night. Otherwise, I would stick with a smaller scale option you were mentioning earlier and perfect that so you don't end up generating more work for yourself.
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast