Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. clipeatas

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, in some cases there were issues with the plants after using coffee (perhaps it was acting more as an algae fertilizer), but mostly I just ended up not seeing any difference between coffee treated plants and non-treated, so I stopped using it.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    A slow but steady grower, I've had this plant since 2012/2013 (before I started keeping detailed records) and it limped along in my highland rack for several years, growing into quite a large plant but never doing well. I removed a basal that did very well in a small lowland setup so I moved the mother plant into the tank (and replanted the basal into this pot) and it's growing better than ever.

The hardest part about this species is certainly growing it out from a TC explant to about 4 inches across -- after that it's slow but much hardier. Still definitely my favorite species.
    I like the 'weed' in that pot

I've got what I'd call a monsterously-sized clippy clone U pitcher a brewing... I can't wait til it opens up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I like the 'weed' in that pot

I've got what I'd call a monsterously-sized clippy clone U pitcher a brewing... I can't wait til it opens up!
    Thanks Zu, it's a Paphiopedilum amabile (=bullenianum?), which grows sympatrically on Kelam with N. clipeata as per this photo by Ch'ien Lee.

In other news, pure N. clipeata seed was recently produced between an AW plant from a Canadian grower and the famous wild-sourced female N. clipeata at the Hyogo Flower Center in Japan! Much more exciting than the planned release of new N. clipeata clones from BE several years back (which never happened apparently ).
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice and nice!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Yes, in some cases there were issues with the plants after using coffee (perhaps it was acting more as an algae fertilizer), but mostly I just ended up not seeing any difference between coffee treated plants and non-treated, so I stopped using it.
    A good rinsing with water a day or two after any coffee application should or event any algal buildup in any quick-draining media. I had a similar algal issue with MaxSea, even with thorough rinsing, and have stopped using that . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had an issue with Maxsea, but then I don't apply it to the soil. I also grow many (not all) of my Nepenthes in undrained pots in an indoor greenhouse and my dry climate and bad tap water limit application of water, so I don't have the option of regularly flushing out those pots that are drained.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a gorgeous species. Thanks for the pics guys. I gotta get one!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soooo good. It's almost growing like a normal Nepenthes and actually increasing pitcher size!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Clipeata's Zuzana, must have taken a hundred years to get it from wistuba size to this
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lowii View Post
    Awesome Clipeata's Zuzana, must have taken a hundred years to get it from wistuba size to this
    Haha
    Short cinematic documentaries on current science- moderndaydocs.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast