Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N. clipeatas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. clipeatas

One of the earliest plants I bought was an N.clipeata clone U from AW over in Germany, fall of 2009. Nearly seven years later, it's still a runt, and the slowest plant I've had the pleasure of growing:

In comparison, a clone 3 I bought a couple years later from AW:

And a N.clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) (supposedly clone 1? What a messy history.) from stateside here:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried using the coffee method?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_donut View Post
    Have you tried using the coffee method?
    Yup, some plants are just really painfully slow. It's known that clone U grows at a glacial pace. Maybe in another seven years mine might actually reach a foot in height.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geez that's slow, even with using the coffee method

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well good things come to those who wait and your plants look well cared for.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    Coffee is highly debatable as to whether or not it's helpful (and after several years of thinking it was doing good I now fall into the opposite opinion); on a different note, really wish I still had my clip x (clip x eymae), that hybrid is so nice. The funky leaf and pitcher shape of pure clipeata is just perfect too.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow your clipeata is a giant compaired to mine. Got my 2 clones back in Mar 2014 from Wistuba. Easily my favorite Nepenthes, I actually like the slow growing compactness of this species.

My clone 3 is growing so much better than my U clone. I recently pulled the 1/4" of random mosses off the "top medium" and replaced it with turface so they both had a mini fit.

DSC_0470
    by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0471
    by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam Estes in Hawaii has a monsterously-sized clipeata in his collection that I'm estimating to be 300 years old, in comparison to the growth rate I see out of mine I'm actually appreciating it now that it's 7 years in my care, and I didn't just have to chop 2 meters off of it like, say, platychila.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. clipeata Clone U

A slow but steady grower, I've had this plant since 2012/2013 (before I started keeping detailed records) and it limped along in my highland rack for several years, growing into quite a large plant but never doing well. I removed a basal that did very well in a small lowland setup so I moved the mother plant into the tank (and replanted the basal into this pot) and it's growing better than ever.

N. clipeata Clone U

The hardest part about this species is certainly growing it out from a TC explant to about 4 inches across -- after that it's slow but much hardier. Still definitely my favorite species.
    Last edited by Clue; 06-16-2016 at 05:18 PM. Reason: sorry, thumbnails were too large
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Coffee is highly debatable as to whether or not it's helpful (and after several years of thinking it was doing good I now fall into the opposite opinion); on a different note, really wish I still had my clip x (clip x eymae), that hybrid is so nice. The funky leaf and pitcher shape of pure clipeata is just perfect too.
    Hey H, mind elaborating on why you feel coffee is bad vs good (as you did intitially)? Over load on organic material that becomes metabolized by unwanted organisms?
    Short cinematic documentaries on current science- moderndaydocs.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast