Thread: X bill Bailey male??

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

X bill Bailey male??

Hi there this is my first time posting here. I'm over the other side of the pond in Edinburgh.
    I bought a n x bill Bailey in 2012 in a small bio dome which contained two small plants, from a very reputable cp nursery in the uk who buy direct from BE. It is flowering for the first time this year for me, so when I knew it was starting to put out a flower stalk I arranged for some interesting pollen to be sent to me, the different types have already been sent. And too my surprise my bb has opened a make flower, this so weird as another uk grower a few years ago flowered his bb and it was a female. Both of our plants look identical, I believe he purchased his from the same nursery around the same time. So my question is, can a nepenthes change sex?

Last edited by carnigrower01; 06-07-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Greeley, CO, USA
    10 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    It's entirely possible that, like the case of 'Lady Pauline,' there were in fact at least two identical clones that ended up being distributed and one ended up male while the other female. However, it is known some Nepenthes can switch sex for reasons yet unknown, going from male to female and vice versa. More common is plants with mutant monoecious flowers, but there is a thread on the forum here detailing the occurrence of a gender-switching N. vogelii.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.

cape town, south africa
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess that its more likely that you and the other guy got different clones -
    My bill bailey is female as well