What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First nep, redd-ish leaves

Hi.
This is my first nep. Idk what's the id, the seller lost it too. But high chance its a mirabilis.
The leaves are reddish now. I got it since Sept 2nd.
Media full moss, water level 2cm. Media height 10cm, sun 2-5pm.
Why its red? :( was it still OK? One of the pitcher was dry already.
Flickr

Hi.
While I dont understand so much about Nepenthes, I can point out a few things while a nepenthes-expert doesn't answer all your questions precisely:
1 - Red leaves can be a sign that you're giving it too much light. (I'm not sure, but I think that could be the problem.) How much direct/indirect light are you giving to it?
2 - Its not recommended to let most if not all Nepenthes sit in a pot with water. Instead, water it from the top every 1-3 days (different species, conditions of where you live, etc, may affect the frequency they need to be watered. Again, I'm not a Nepenthes-expert, so I cant give detailed information about it).
3 - Old dry pitchers SHOULD be fine if the plant was recently bought, as it is probably adapting to new conditions. If it makes new pitchers and they also dry, it may have a problem.

Last edited:
The plant looks fine. Reddish color on the leaves is an indication that it is receiving a lot of light (nothing to worry about unless the leaves start burning, but you're far from that.) It's normal for Nepenthes to lose pitchers after being moved as the pitchers themselves are very sensitive to changing environmental conditions. If a pitcher develops in high humidity, it will not last long in lower humidity, but the plant will produce more.

I also would recommend not leaving the plant in a water tray. You want to top water until it drains through the bottom whenever the soil surface starts to feel a little on the dry side. I generally water every 3 days with my Nepenthes though I suspect you'll want to do it less often living in a higher humidity climate.

I'll agree with what's been said here. Reddening and loss of pitchers is normal during a transition. Wait a month or two and you will see an improvement in your plant. Standing water is a bad idea, especially in a humid area. When I grew my neps outdoors I'd let them drain freely but water everyday to compensate.

Thanks for answering guys..
To explain my conditions, I sun my nep just the same with my Droseras, from 2-6pm. Indirect light from 6am-2pm..

The water tray was just to collect excess water from watering time. While my humidity is definitely high, the heat and light was quite extreme too. The water will usually evaporate by night. And the cup was elevated inside so its not sitting too deep in the water. Only about 1 cm.....
Will water daily too outside the cup.

Well, the seller came from the same condition with mine (if not a little bit hotter).. So the pitcher dies was quite making me worried.

Back