Thread: My N. Ventricosa's tendrils dry out but my N. Alata does not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My N. Ventricosa's tendrils dry out but my N. Alata does not.

So I have 2 pitcher plants in a single pot. N.Alata Sprouted around July(Totally accidental, thought this was just a new stem since my ventrata is in a bending position ever since I got it last May). As you can see, my N. Alata(I assume it is alata since it has hairs on the pitcher) has already traps and growing just fine.

On the other hand, My N.Ventrata hasn't been pitchering since then. It just continues to grow leaves with red tendrils(I trimmed the last picther it had since it was rotting, it was already grown when I got it) but the pitcher tips just dry off after a week or so

Temp here in the philippines is 27C-32C. It rains about 3-5 times a week(rainy season). I am not sure but as you can see on the pics it is placed on a rusty metal roof(heat/temp issues?). But as I recall I had a leaf that was just in the rim of the pot and it still dried off and another that didnt touch the roof and it still dried.
    Last edited by Mang Kanor; 10-01-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Spaces

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your two plants are probably the same. The pitches on the smaller one look so different from the mature ones because of age. Young plants can change a lot in how their pitchers look as they mature. Your lack of pitchering might be due to heat. It's probably a significant amount hotter and dryer over that roof than it is just inside the pot. Lows in the high 20C's is probably also a little high for nepenthes that are not pure lowlanders.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the plants in that pot are N. ventrata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    Your two plants are probably the same. The pitches on the smaller one look so different from the mature ones because of age. Young plants can change a lot in how their pitchers look as they mature. Your lack of pitchering might be due to heat. It's probably a significant amount hotter and dryer over that roof than it is just inside the pot. Lows in the high 20C's is probably also a little high for nepenthes that are not pure lowlanders.
    Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    Both the plants in that pot are N. ventrata.
    Thanks for the responses guys. I thought these were different nepenthes due to the hairs but thanks for pointing out they are indeed two plants. Should I place the plant somewhere else to make up for the 20C above temp? The younger N. Ventrata has already have a pitcher outside the rim and is growing fine(so far).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try to find a place that is shaded during the hottest parts of the day. That should help.