What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The diff between highland and lowland neps

What are some of the mayjoy differences between higland and lowland Neps.? how much different are the environments?

I'm no botanist but my thoughts on the differences as pertaining to Nepenthes is:

Lowland is hot and steamy with a Relative Humdiity above 70-100%. Temps between 22-34*C or aproximately 74-95*F (temps taken from C. clarkes. Neps of Borneo)

Highland conditions are different in that the temperatures must be considerably cooler, from 10 - 20*C or aproximately 50-70*F but humidity and airflow must remain higher than in the lowland environments. This is the challenge, in a cool breezy environment the only way I've kept proper humidity/air boyancy levels is to keep the highland enclosure shrouded in fog from an ultrasonic humidifier hooked up to a humidistat which keeps the fogger from running more than necessary.

hope that helps!

Back