What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lil" pot of horrors nepenthes

About 2 months ago i was in a nursery and baught a bunch of CPs under the seller of lil pot of horrors. I have been able to identify all of the species except the one simply named "nepenthes".  If any one has come accross these plants please let me know what species it is, it is doing much better then when it was in the store, i've been keeping it like a low land species, but it is only producing small pitchers.  I had it in partly sunny conditions but it began to get leaf burn so i now have it in bright shade. please help

Nepenthes are the gene (correct me if that is wrong name: Gene) name for the species of Tropical Pitcher Plants. You have a picture of the plant?

Travis

Genus singular, Genera plural...

no unfortunetly idont have a scanner. it has evidence of small wings on the pitchers, so i guess its not a N.ventricosa. I think it might be a N.Judith Finn but i'm no expert thats for sure

saved a plant from Home Depot about 2 months ago. The suplier was "Little pot of Horrors". Heres my description: Slite bulge at the bottom of the pitcher, wings that are pressed flat , Hairs on the top of lid , the lid is very close to permistone, permistone has no over hang on the outside, no spurs, it has small dark green dots at the bulge , a single small light green band after the bulge, a red portion after the band. I just desrccibed a lower pitcher .It thrives in highland coditions. Any ideas as to what it is. Thank you!!!!!

Does this fit your description?

The ones I've most commonly seen in home improvement areas are alata and khasiana.

thats a pretty close description, but i guess i wont realy know until the plant matures, any idea how long that can take? it's about 4" in diameter now.

Its Nx Judith Finn then. Well most likely actualy as I have the same plant from the same supplier.

Yeah, swords made a similar topic to ID a plant from the same supplier, Little Pot of Horrors or something. Looked like N. x Judith Finn to me too.

so how do i keep it? is it a low land or a high land? every time i put it in partial sun, it ges leaf burn.
sad.gif

I don't know if all the Little Pot of Horrors Nepenthes are the same species (I bought 3 unknown Nepenthes of this company) but only one of mine is doing well in a lowland setup: 80 watts of flourescent light, 90-100% humidity. You can see a somewhat blurry photo of the red & maroon/purple pitcher at the post below called Wanna Play Guess the Species? (wish I had a good digital camera)

kqntb4life, I would move your plant to an intermediate setup. (unheated terrarium would probably work). So if it is a highland then it will show better growth THEN you can adjust it's temperamental requirements. If we knew the cross obviosly it would be a snap to tell you the temperature range. So right now just shut your heat off or lower it to a range of 60-70F for an intermediate setup. If it is a vigorous grower now leave it in lowland conditions. It may be producing small pitchers as it is a small plant or is it large? More info please for my reply is appreciated.
smile.gif

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 4:46 pm on April 25, 2002)

I think it is fairly young. it is 4 inches in diameter and about 4 inches tall. I keep it at about those conditions now. hope this helps

OK so it is still a juevenile. Keep it in those conditions and it should be good!
smile.gif

Back