What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pruning

My Ventricosa has really started growing rapidly and I've read some various things on pruning, but I can't remember the details. Does anyone have favoret growth managment technekes(sp?). I know ventricosa are recomended as being grown bush like with heavy pruning, but I'm afrain of touching my ickle plant, lol.

pruning can be a great thing u can make cutting...........and just cut they thing it will make help it to produce more stems and there for u get a more bushy plant
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone have favoret growth managment technekes(sp?).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Darcie,
I think you mean "management techniques"
biggrin.gif

I agree with Spec. I cut my N. Gracillis two dormant growth points sprang to life. So I just cut it again!

Unless your really wanting flowers or upper pitchers I would periodically cut back Nepenthes before they end up with a long brown leafless lower stem.
Tony

You mean cutting the top right off? With scissors? Then you can use the cutting and grow them? My nep. ventricosa is taking over my tank...

travis

Yep just chop it back with shears or a razor. You should make sure though that there are some leaves on the remaining lower portion so that it recovers faster. If there are basal shoots growing then the whole thing can be cut down to just above these shoots. The removed portion can be cut up into 2-3 node sections (or larger) for rooting more plants.

N. ventricosa is a good one for prunning because it will typically make more than one new shoot. In time it will be a very large plant with multiple growing points. The removed portion also roots fairly easily.
Tony

SWEET!!!
biggrin.gif
Thank You, I am so there dude!!!
biggrin.gif

I'm always having to trim my N. coccinea and N. ventrata

they just seem to get very bushy
so it seems to help

Back