Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some lowland plant photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the BE-99 in 'pipsqueak' size... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] I can't wait. I have more space than I need right now. It is making its first pitcher that I know of. The leaves are a nice red. That changes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beagle, The color hasn't stopped with mine, each new leaf is kind of pink turning to red/brown when fully opened and staying that way. As long as your light levels are high the color should hold, if the color fades add more light (or change your bulbs for new ones) it should come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that pic of "the science guy" is the one I'm thinking of, that's actually Rob Cantley himself, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed a similar phenomenon with my Miranda / N. x mixta when I got them a few months ago. The leaves reddened, until they cooked and died. I got very precise about placing the plants and worked on the shade situation. Plus, of course, it's not around June 21st any more (high sun). Now all the leaves are coming out with a waxy reddish look, but not getting the occasional fry job.

All the small neps I bought recently responded well, immediately, to more light. The little BE-99 had four spotty leaves with no pitchers. About three weeks later, it has a pitcher on the way and a new leaf that looks promising. Those leaves have that reddish waxy look.

We have that cold front stalled just north of here, so we are still in permanent filtered sunlight, moderate temps (80-70ish) high humidity (read, rain and lots of it). People who don't call themselves "nep farmers" when they check the weather in the morning might be getting cabin fever, OTOH.

Three weeks ago, I could have placed lowlanders on the roof and forgotten about them. Today, they would be thriving with a couple minor leaf burns, max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a bunch of BE-99, and they all have the copper colored leaves that almost look like plastic. The pitchers are nearly solid red with a white peristome; you can tell they're raffs but still look very juvenile. The spotting on the older leaves seems to be a rafflesiana trait, and I'm considering flushing the pots with a good systemic fungicide like Clearies to see if it cures the problem. Anyone out there try this for raff spotting?

Also, Beagle, you'll find that once we (Florida Nep Growers) have twenty degree plus day-night temperature differences, the Miranda leaves will take on a coppery red coloration. New growths will be stout and have a similar color, and species like thorelii and red albomarginata will have more intense red coloration.

Trent

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

Does it depend on your spots? I've seen some red spots that don't appear to be that bad (Miranda, coccinea). More like, eh, freckles? Dry brown spots are burns from the sun, don't like those. I've seen black spots after shipping. I clipped the pitchers and leaves slowly back. The new growth looks good. Beat up leaves and pitchers can get weird yellow and brown spotting depending on the level of abuse.

All the nep spotting I've had -- so far, fingers crossed -- has been cured with more direct sunlight.

Speaking of Florida nep growers, are you feeling this rainforest we've been living in in Cent. FL? We are about to, again, have frogs in our back yard -- mushy swamp -- if present trends continue. That happened in August also.

Red albomarginata? Funny you mention that, Trent, I want to be growing that plant. I like the looks of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a big rainwater collection tank and its filled to the brim! It was bone dry a little over a week ago. Very wet!
    We've had freckling caused by bright light, and water sitting on the leaves, but raffs get this weird rust spots every now and then. I've even seen it in pictures of the plants in the wild!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have said that I have some rusty looking spotting that seems to have deformed one leaf on a vetchii "typical." I have not noticed that kind of spotting on a raff, yet.

The vetchii obviously likes more light. One day I accidentally left the small, not hardened, vetchii out on the table on the back porch. That provides good VFT or sarracenia light. The vetchii did fine for one whole afternoon. An interesting mistake, because now I give it a lot more light and it seems to like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast