What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ephippiata

One of my N. ephippiata recently began to produce upper pitchers. I think that this is pretty interesting, and thought that I would share it with you here. Enjoy!

ephippiataUpper.jpg

What an odd looking little thing. VERY cool!!

Great picture Jeff! What is the plant diameter at this stage?
Tony

Thanks for the comments!

Presently, the diameter of this plant is 35 cm. However, I believe
that it will continue to increase in size. In the wild, it has been
observed to grow to 70 cm diameter (according to Clarke).

Jeff,

kool picture of the pitcher. very interesting also. thumbs up to you and the misses.

Nicepitcher. That is sweet. That is going on my wishlist. The lid looks like a little like a lowii. Thats a nice plant.
biggrin.gif

How large is the pitcher?

The pitcher shown is 13 cm in height, from pitcher bottom to top of operculum.

Very nice Jeff. Is the upper pitcher fluid fairly viscous? Just something that crossed my mind while looking at your picture.

Actually, the pitcher fluid is not viscous at all.

Oh neat, just something that crossed my mind for some reason so I figured I'd ask. BTW, are those nectar secretions or nodules under the lid there?

Edited by neps on 4/11/03

The "bumps" are actually "stubble" in place of the "hairs" which are quite prominent on lower pitchers of this species. They are surrounded by glands which produce an exudate not unlike that secreted by N. lowii.

Love it. Can't stop looking at that photo. Wish I had one with upper pitchers. I can hardly wait!

Beautiful photo and pitcher!
smile.gif

I just wish the forum offered an inches to centimeters conversion thingy (and celsius/farenheit). I am a 'merican who doesn't know metric.
confused.gif

Suzanne

Jeff is American too, he is just being smart using the metric scale. I am training my self to do so also.

Just for your English units here's the plant specs.
smile.gif

Plant diameter: 14 inches in diameter, it can reach 2ft 4 inches in diameter.
Pitcher size: 5 inches in height.

Glad that you like the image, Suzanne.

Sorry about the metric units troubling you; I use them because
the rest of the world does, and I want to be able to communicate
clearly with the broadest possible range of people.

Here are handy facts to aid you in converting:
10 cm = 4 inches, or 2.5 cm per inch (approximately).
0C = 32F, and one degree of temperature Celsius = 1.8
degree of temperature Fahrenheit.

dose it have a tendrill? becouse upper pitchers have tendrills lower pitchers don't but it could like ventricosa becouse ventricosa flowers at about 1 foot it dosen't produce upper pitchers..................that plant looks like it's going to be sick

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (matti lord of the pings @ April 11 2003,5:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dose it have a tendrill? becouse upper pitchers have tendrills lower pitchers don't but it could like ventricosa becouse ventricosa flowers at about 1 foot it dosen't produce upper pitchers..................that plant looks like it's going to be sick[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ummm... don't you see the tendril in the picture? do you even know what a tendril is? cause there is a tendril in that pic. *Scoffs* and you call yourself the nepenthes expert?

P.S.-Nepenthes ventrincosa does produce upper pitchers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (matti lord of the pings @ April 12 2003,05:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dose it have a tendrill? becouse upper pitchers have tendrills lower pitchers don't but it could like ventricosa becouse ventricosa flowers at about 1 foot it dosen't produce upper pitchers..................that plant looks like it's going to be sick[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
from your signature matti , i don't think you are an expert of neps , also if you were born in 1990 and you been growing them for 7 years its hard to believe that you grew them since you were 5 years old . upper and lower pitcher both have tendrils , I don't think you should you shoudl think again .

Back