What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sanguinea

Hey all,
I was wondering is N. Sanguniea a highland or lowland Nepenthes?

Hi, Nepenthes sanguniea are found at Genting Highland,Malaysia, so they are highland...

Most forms are highlanderish but I had success with one form that grew like a gracilis in intermediate conditions.

I have and N. sanguinea that I have been growing as an intermediate/lowland since purchase. It is my best growing nepenthes. It has yet to fail in the production of new urns. I will have to look up the date later.

This plant is growing along side N. bicalcarata, N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana, and N. gracilis.

I will post photos of the plant tonight or tomorrow.

My N. Sanguinea grows as a lowland and is doing better then in highland conditions. It grows with N. Madagascarinisis and Tobica and a unknown and a lot mor. I will post pi's later in the Summar of all my Nepenthes.
biggrin.gif

You have a highland N. madagascariensis?
confused.gif

Dustin,

I think he said his sanguinea is growing with the lowlanders, including N. madagascariensis. Interestingly enough, his N. tobaica is right there with them, which is noted more as a highlander, but an easy one. I wonder if the conditions are more intermediate for all these plants to be growing well together?

Regards,

Joe

I currently grow my N. Sanguniea in a highland condition.

Interesting question Joe. Which is a good thing for everyone to think about. When you post I grow it as a ____
Give specifics. What are your average high and low temperatures. How much light does the plant get etc.

This kind of information adds tremendously to the value of the reply.

Tony

I have N. sanguinea, Genting Highlands which I obtained last October and I grow it as a highlander, it's been quite cold this winter (min temp 8C) in my conservatory, but it seems happy and is growing and pitchering nicely now that there is more light and warmth about.

This species has a reputation for being able to tolerate intermediate conditions as well, so it will probably be OK in with lowlanders too.

Vic

Another interesting thing is that, yes most books including the wonderful "Savage Garden" agree that N. sanguinea is a highlander, but unfortunately, the plants can't read, lol.

tounge.gif

Regards,

Joe

My N. sanguinea growing condtions:

Temp: 70-90°F
Humidity: 70-100%
Light: 14 hours.
Water: When sphagnum on top of soil shows signs that it needs water. About every 4 days.

N_sanguineaFullView.jpg

Mine is growing well, but very slowly. Night temps are low 60s and day temps are low 90s.

Back