What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guesss the species!

• Thread starter Joachim
  • Start date
Filling up the summer-hole - here is another one to guess for:

N_E.jpg

Joachim

My first thought was clipeata, but the leaf isn't peltate.
confused.gif
This could mean that it's a young plant, or that it's a clipeata hybrid. My guess is that it's a hybrid: ventricosa x clipeata.

Jœl

Yeah ventricosa x clipeata. I saw that same hybrid at Catalani's.

Very impressive! You do all get 99.5 out of 100 points, the plant is a N. clipeata x ventricosa. The pitchers are glabrous so it can't be a pure N. clipeata which always has hairy pitchers.

Joachim

I noticed that but the dead give away was the shape of the pitchers, the peristome and the tendril attachment, just all ventricosa-ish

Just wondering because I don't know how naming goes except for the parentheses issue. But is there a reason it's clipeata x ventricosa, or does order not matter? I would GuEsS that the first is the plant that actually makes the seed but I don't know. Also, when you cross breed, does the plant take on more characteristics of one or the other in the order?

Technically the female parent should be listed first as you thought. Just how a hybrid will turn out depends on many things. How dominant one parent is over another. Which is the pod parent and which is the pollen. Even which clone is crossed to which clone in the cross.

Making the hybrid in reverse order can change the outlook as there are genes within the mitochondria and chloroplasts which may affect some traits. More of these are retained from the female parent than from the male parent.

Yellow/green color in flowers is a common example for traits governed more by the chloroplast genes than the nucleus. So if you looking for the strongest yellow flowers in Orchids for example, you use the better yellow flower as the pod parent.

It also depends if the plant is a primary hybrid (two species crossed together) or a more complex hybrid. Generally speaking there is less variation in a primary hybrid and which parent is the pollen vs pod makes less of a difference.
Tony

Back