What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa

Is it posible to harden off an N. Ventricosa to household humidity level with suplimental mysting? Mine is going to outgrow it's bubble soon, but I don't want to destroy it's health by just moving it insted of buying a bigger terrarium.

I have a 1m ventricosa that I grow on my patio as long as the night temp is above 0C and that spends the winter in my living room with no extra care. Pitchers reduce in size while indoors but that is all

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. Just be sure to reduce the humidity gradually, not all at once. Once it has adjusted, they can do quite well, even without supplemental misting.

Pyro, 1 meter! Wow! That must be an incredible plant. How long did it take it to get that big?

During the winter months my pitchers on my ventricosa died pretty quick
confused.gif
. As they would only last a month or so compared to the summer months they would last about 3 1/2 months. That would be lovely to take the ventricosa out of my tank and into the open air. Just to scared to take the chance...Can you mist with regular water as long as it does not go into the root system or would it burn the leaves/pitchers?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ April 04 2003,12:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a 1m ventricosa that I grow on my patio as long as the night temp is above 0C and that spends the winter in my living room with no extra care. Pitchers reduce in size while indoors but that is all[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sounds like this ones mommy. It's about that size.

Regular water would leave mineral deposits on the leafes. It might trickly down the stem to the soil and roots if the mist was heavy and the droplets were big enough so gravity would pull them downwards.

Spraying you Nepenthes plant with regular water will NOT kill it, or burn the leaves. The worst thing that would happen is that you'd see some white marks on the leaves. I personally water every one of my Nep plants with tap water (increadibly hard tap water) and nothing bad happens. Just remember to rinse the plants with RO, distilled, or rain water once in a while and they'll be ok.

Jœl

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (carnivorous23 @ April 03 2003,2:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pyro, 1 meter! Wow! That must be an incredible plant. How long did it take it to get that big?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The plant has been in my posession for 3 years, it was 4" high when I got it. I get about a foot a year out of it but I am also pretty hard on it (like I said above, outside until the temps hit 0C)

Back