What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep rafflesiana -- how much light for good growth?

Hi all,

My N.rafflesiana just isn't growing. I got it with withered pitchers and it was in normal orange soil. I left it like so for 3 weeks, but it hasn't done anything, except to get browner. I think it did put out some small leaves tho. There're some leaves which are more waxy and others which are green but dry.

So, today, I changed the medium to peat/sand/perlite and will transfer it to a bigger pot tomorrow. I noticed that its roots were clumped into a ball in the old soil... is this restricting its growth?

One other thing is, how much light shld I give this plant? I read that Raffs prefer lesser light, but again, I read that Raffs in less light produce fewer pitchers
confused.gif
So, what's the correct thing I shld do? Just some backgrd again, I live close to the equator and thus the light here is quite strong. I'm thinking of putting it in a shaded area under the porch. I don't think sunlight shines directly there, but it isn't dark.

Finally, I saw some rather interesting looking tissue cultured Raffs in sterile containers for sale at a local nursery. How long do these take to reach a size when they can be potted? Right now, they're about the size of half a palm... quite cute really
smile.gif

Hey eBeyonder, I think now that repotting was a good idea. Probably also not good to have the roots clumped into a ball.

I'd recommend LFS rather than peat. My only nep that's growing in pure LFS is growing noticeably better than the other three, all of which are growing in some sort of peat or another.

I don't know what I have, but my rafflesianas/hookerianas (I have two) are in a spot where they receive quite a bit of light, but just out of direct sun. The one that receives full sun for an hour or so has brighter green and glossy leaves, but I've not noticed much difference in pitchers. Perhaps it's too soon to tell.

Anyway I got somemore N.Rafflesianas today. Got 6 small ones and one slightly bigger one. They're now in some sort of little container. I'm going to repot them. Anyone knows how long these take to reach maturity? They're most likely tissue-cultured.

Back