What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes xiphioides

Hello,
Im looking into the purchase of a N. Xiphioides, but can't find any info on it. Does anybody know where i could? Or someone who has one, that could tell me how to grow it? Thank alot,
Kevin

you can not sell things on pft

He wantsto buy it from a CP site. Not from anyone here. Take it easy.
tounge.gif

hey,
No, i already know where to purchase it from, i need some more INFO on it. Thanks,
Kevin

Highland conditions. This plant seems to be more sensitive to burning with fertilizer or less than ideal water. Also appears to prefer slightly less intense light than I give most of my plants.
Tony

Hi,

N. xiphoides is an easy but slow grower from my experience. My plant is grown under high light levels which of course may be the cause for the slow growth. In contrast to Tony's experience my plant can handle foliar feeding with no ill effects. I usually mist my plants with teh foliar fertilizer in the evening hours and mist them again heavily with pure water before sun hits them the next morning. N. villosa, N. macrophylla and N. inermis got heavily burned when I didn't do this.

Cheers Joachim

It is interesting how one small thing can make such a big difference. I think my trouble was from foliar feeding during the day. Subsequently the leaves would dry off before overhead watering again. This would have the effect to concentrate the fertilizer on the leaves, as the water evaporates. So even starting with a dilute solution it would concentrate to a fairly high level in the end. Which is what I suspect was causing the burning. For me the N. xiphioides in this situation along with fairly intense sunlight was deffinately not a happy camper (along with some others). While at the same time other plants were unaffected. Suffice it to say I no longer use foliar feeding in the greenhouse as it was also getting into pitchers and burning them.
Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ Aug. 02 2003,06:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey,
   No, i already know where to purchase it from, i need some more INFO on it. Thanks,
                              Kevin[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
i should have thought that sooner

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 03 2003,04:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Subsequently the leaves would dry off before overhead watering again. This would have the effect to concentrate the fertilizer on the leaves, as the water evaporates. So even starting with a dilute solution it would concentrate to a fairly high level in the end. Which is what I suspect was causing the burning.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi Tony,

the leafes of my plants are also absolutely dry only one or two hours after misting them with the fertilizer. The reason for this ist the quite low humidty of my setup. The burning of the leafes occured from the sun and the dried up fertilizer alone (I don't normally mist my plants at all and so they stay dry for weeks).

Slight differences in growth conditions might make a big difference in plant health and growth. As we are all judging from our personal experiences, the value of the experiences given by other growers is difficult to interpret. The same plant I might consider as to be very well grown might look horrible in the eyes of others. Of course it might very well be grown well below its potential even thouugh I'm happy with it.

Just as an idea: It would be big fun and add some real value in horticultural respect to compare the different growth conditions the users of this forum grow their Nepenthes under. In times of TC it wouldn't be a problem to supply one identical Nepenthes clone of the same size to many growers at the same time. Then everyone could grow his plant under his prefered conditions. After some time like a year or so we could compare the different growth conditions by the results we got.

Cheers Joachim

Hi Joachim, Tony and others:

That sounds like an excellent idea. However, the person overseeing the experiment must make sure that everybody fills out the same type of information for the whole year. Thus, one can compare results at the end of the experiment. Otherwise, you'll have people concentrating on some aspects of the growing conditons while others concentrate on different ones and you get no definite data to make any conclusions.

Gus

Hey All,
Especially Tony, Joachim, Agustin. I grow my N.xiphioides outdoors under shade cloth. At times it was getting full morning sun with no problems. So I would consider this guy a definite highlander that I've had no trouble with. I've never fertilized it at all. I just throw it a mealworm once in a while when it's not catching its own bugs outside. I guess you could grow this guy indoors, but if it's a highlander then you'd need some sort of temperature drop. I'd be interested in seeing how this plant or others for that matter do in a controlled environment versus an outdoor environment. What do ya guys think? My overall take is that these plants are very hardy in various growing conditions and can adapt quite easily and are not as delicate as once believed. If you want to see how I grow my Neps go to Nepenthes around the house for an alternative to conventional growing of Nepenthes. It may work for your Neps.

Hi Joel:

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if you could tell us how long did it take you to get the large nepenthes from your website that big??.

Gus

Back